Geotagged Photo: Accuracy problem : photo does not show up in the right location

08-29-2011 05:07 AM
RobertColbach
New Contributor
Hi,

The new function for direct import of geotagged photos in ArcGIS Explorer Desktop seems really nice, but I ran into an accuracy problem while using it for the first time:
I imported several photos with GPS coordinates in the EXIF data from a GPS Camera. All photos are taken right on the edge of a highway.
The thumbnails show up without error, but are placed at nearly 500 meters (to the SW) from the point they were taken.
Same with other photos.
(Do test this further, I opened Google Earth from my Picture Viewer Program and the dot showed up in the rightplace. When I exported these Google Earth 'temporary locations' to a kmz file and import the latter into ArcGIS Exlporer, the point is in the right place this time. )
I attach one example photo and would be happy if someone could try to reproduce this error or tell me what could have gone wrong in my case.

Thanks for any help or suggestions,
Roby

Attached: 11-08-26-A13-21_r.JPG (geotagged photo) and 11-08-26-A13-21.zip, (containing the corresponding knz file exported from Google Earth)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: malte12

Hi Roby,
I also have this problem. This is a bug in ArcGIS Explorer (function for direct import of geotagged photos). ArcGIS Explorer has encountered a problem with the digits after the decimal point in the arc second (N49 ° 30'16 .75"; E6 ° 9'23 .53"). Replaced by .16.75" through 16.00" and 23.53" through 23.00". Then the image is displayed accurately. This should fix the bug people from ESRI. See sample photos.

malte12
0 Kudos
EdanCain
New Contributor II
Roby, Peter,
can you post links to geotagged images you see not working and I can fix the issue.

Kind regards,
Edan
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: colbachr

Dear Edan,

As far as I am concerned, the problem seems to be resolved with the new version (Build 1750) of ArcGis Explorer.

Roby
0 Kudos
EdanCain
New Contributor II
Thanks for letting me know Roby. There is a bug with IPhone geotagged images that I have fixed that will be in the next release.

Kind regards,
Edan
0 Kudos
PazOlivaresH
New Contributor

Hi ESRI Community,

I am having the same problem but in ArcGIS Pro. I Geotagged the photos from my GoPro and when these are dispalyed on the map, few pictures are wrongly located. I thought this could be only an ArcPro problem but when I did this in ArcMap same happened. Would be great if you can help me, thanks!

0 Kudos