Using GPS with ArcGIS Explorer 1700

07-01-2011 11:15 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jraines

Is there a way to specify the COM port for your GPS receiver even if Explorer doesn't identify that a receiver is connected?  I have a Dell XFR XT2 (ruggedized laptop/tablet) with a built in GPS and Explorer doesn't recognize it however I use it successfully in other programs.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: edan

Hi,
what port does it typically come through on when using other SW? The code blocks COM1 and COM3. Are you getting the COM Port settings form appearing? It should list all of the ports available to you including virtual ports, with the exception of the two aforementioned ports. It won't show if it doesn't detect other ports within the ports list that I get from the OS.

I think I can get a loan of a similar laptop to test with. In the meantime you might try changing the port name for the built in GPS. Also, look to see that the port settings form hasn't been placed behind the app on screen, it will not not appear on the task bar as an object to click to bring to the front (fyi).

hope this helps,
Edan
0 Kudos
DavidYip
New Contributor II
For some reason my 1700 won't even show the window to select the COM port for me. I know the NMEA strings are being delivered to COM port, so I don't know what's going on.

If you want to set COM3, you can just type "COM3" into the port box and it should work, even though it doesn't appear.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

David,
is the dialog appearing behind Explorer? Have you tried minimizing or moving Explorer to see if the dialog is behind it?
I'll try to get time to look at it sometime today and see if I can repro the issue and get back to you. The dialog should always be in front of the parent app.

The only other instance where it will not show is if there are no further ports detected for use. The application code will disregard your attempt to connect based on this.
What OS are you using? and can you connect to your GPS device with other SW? This will help me understand if the above case is in effect or not. If this is the case, do you have the other SW using the GPS when you try to connect with Explorer? This will also cause the dialog not to appear.

Kind regards,
Edan Cain
0 Kudos
ScottTiller
New Contributor II
I too am having this problem with a USGlobalSat BU-353.  Using VisualGPS, I know that the GPS is active, has a lock, pushing data on COM3 (Prolific USB-to-Serial COM Port) and the NMEA stream is being written to the port.  However, ArcGIS Explorer does not recognize a GPS device is attached or active and I cannot find a configuration page for GPS in ArcGIS Explorer that allows me to confirm the COM port that it is 'listening' to...  Please advise...thanks, SAT
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Scott, David,
firstly David, I have made changes to the code that will have the port settings dialog display every time you go to connect to a gps device so that you as the user can make changes to the port name. It will continue to display the port settings of the last successful connection to a gps (if the port still exists). You'll have this within our next release 1750 due out in the next couple of weeks.

Scott, I don't have an answer for you, I will have to try to reproduce it locally to find out what is the issue. I'll post again once I get that far.

Thanks for the feedback, always appreciated and we'll make changes to the app if warranted based on it.

Kind regards,
Edan
0 Kudos
ScottTiller
New Contributor II
Thank you Edan!

I have just uninstalled 1700 and installed the current 1750 build...however, I have the same issue as before when I attempt to check the box besides "Receive Signal", a msgbox appears stating that "No GPS Receiver Detected".  I have not seen the "port settings dialog display" that you mentioned in your last msg.  Did this code adjustment make the current 1750-build?  Is there something that I need to do to force the dialog box? 

I do have the GPS (mentioned in my last post) connected and it does (according to VisualGPS) have GPS lock.  According to VisualGPS, it is currently configured to COM3 where it is finding the NMEA output.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts or if I can try something on this end to assist with tracking the issue down...

Thanks, SAT
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Scott,
the code is in 1750. Typically COM1 and COM3 are system reserved ports and therefore the code checks to see if there are more ports than simply these two as it omits them from being used. If these are the only two COM ports it sees, you get the message that you've been experiencing.

You can reset the COM port number to something else. Once you do, you will be able to make a connection.

Other occurrences of this are with Garmin devices as they typically do not create a virtual port for use. Garmin has a app call Spanner that creates a virtual port for the device to be read from and so allows for normal connectivity.

Let me know how you get on?

Edan
0 Kudos
ScottSamson
New Contributor
Hi Scott,
the code is in 1750. Typically COM1 and COM3 are system reserved ports and therefore the code checks to see if there are more ports than simply these two as it omits them from being used. If these are the only two COM ports it sees, you get the message that you've been experiencing.

You can reset the COM port number to something else. Once you do, you will be able to make a connection.

Other occurrences of this are with Garmin devices as they typically do not create a virtual port for use. Garmin has a app call Spanner that creates a virtual port for the device to be read from and so allows for normal connectivity.

Let me know how you get on?

Edan

Edan

I appreciate your assistance with the GPS interface with Build 1700/1750.

I tested the GPS operation with Windows XP 32-bit OS and found no problems.  However, when tested on Windows 7 64-bit, the GPS is not detected (the GPS dialog box displaying connection parameters does not appear, just a message stating that the GPS receiver cannot be detected).  Have you had the opportunity to test Build 1700/1750 with a 64-bit OS (XP or 7)?

Scott
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Scott,
my development machine is a 64bit Win7 machine. I have another 32bit XP machine that I test what I am builiding in Explorer. Then the team's test engineers get it to try and break it, and typically have an assortment of different machines to work with.
The underlying code for the GPS uses at its core the .NET SerialPort object. In code I ask for all of the ports listed on the machine. As mentioned I discard COM port 1 and 3.
You are getting the message reported as your computer is not registering the COM port that you have it set too. If it is set to COM1 or COM3 you need to change it. If it is not showing up on the computer, then you need some kind of emulator such as GPS Gate, or Garmin Spanner to have a virtual, detectable port for the code to find.

Edan
0 Kudos