Error creating contour - failed to copy raster dataset

10-23-2011 01:47 PM
DavidStrip
New Contributor II
I'm trying to create a contours layer from an elevation raster. It fails with a 9999 error, followed by
(esriDataSourcesRaster:GdalDriver") Failed to copy raster dataset
then error 010240 Could not save raster dataset to ...\temp\g_g7634

There is no name conflict in the temp file where it's trying to copy, and there's plenty of disk space.

My raster is 16bit x 23,500 x 19,500, or about 1GB.
Is that too big?
0 Kudos
19 Replies
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
Which version of ArcGIS?
- If 10, do you have Service Pack 3 installed?
- output going to shapefile or file geodatabase?
- what happens with a larger contour interval?

Thanks
Steve
0 Kudos
DavidStrip
New Contributor II
License type: ArcView
Version 10, SP3
Saving to file geodatabase
Failure in original message was with 10' contour interval
Retried with 100' interval, success after 15 minutes, 17 seconds.
Tried with 20' interval - ran for a while, showing progress, then failed at 15 minutes with 9999 error msg and no other info - just "Failed to execute (Contour)"
0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
Could you zip the input DEM and email it to slynch@esri.com ?

or

External users who need to FTP a file to Esri should be instructed to login to ftp://ftp.esri.com/ using the anonymous login and providing their e-mail address as the password if prompted (Note: Most browsers and FTP clients will log in using the anonymous account automatically).

Once connected, the external users should navigate to the pub/incoming folder, create directories as needed and upload their content.

Thanks
Steve
0 Kudos
WilliamWood
New Contributor
Same exact issue here.

The folder it's trying to write the GRID to (C:\Windows\System32 :confused:) is read only and requires admin privileges as dictated by user profiles assigned by our IT. I can't find anywhere in the environment settings where I can redirect it to a folder in which I do have permission to write.

Permissions are a recurring issue here (nearly exclusively with ESRI software) and there is no negotiating for increased admin privileges.
0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
William

What version of ArcGIS are you running?
Please set your current and scratch workspace to a location where you have write access to.
What format is the raster in, fgdb, grid, tif, img or ?
What format are you writing to ? (shapefile, fgbd, ?)

Can you try with grid input and shapefile file output ?

Thanks
Steve
0 Kudos
RandyRandolph
New Contributor
despite defining c:\t as my scratch space in ArcCatalog, I get a message that appears to be a permissions problem for \windows\system32 when running PathAllocation in python script and from toolbox/ArcCatalog

arcpy.PathAllocation_sa("U:/Clusters2006/h99B99p30/h99B99p30_s","C:/t/PathAll_h99B1","U:/Clusters2006/imped_h/g99Bi30pir","#","#","BINARY 1 45","#","BINARY 1 -30 30","#","#","VALUE","#","#")

leading to
Executing: PathAllocation U:\Clusters2006\h99B99p30\h99B99p30_s C:\t\PathAll_h99B1 U:\Clusters2006\imped_h\g99Bi30pir # # "BINARY 1 45" # "BINARY 1 -30 30" # # VALUE # #
Start Time: Wed May 30 09:26:33 2012
ERROR 010029: Unable to create the raster C:\windows\system32\t_t017. Path Distance mapping is Failed
ERROR 010067: Error in executing grid expression.
Failed to execute (PathAllocation).
Failed at Wed May 30 09:26:34 2012 (Elapsed Time: 1.00 seconds)

if I run the same thing on a machine that doesn't have a locked-down windows directory, it executes correctly

arcpy.PathAllocation_sa("U:/Clusters2006/h99b99p30/h99b99p30_s","C:/t/PathAll_h99b1","U:/Clusters2006/imped_h/g99bi30pir","#","#","BINARY 1 45","#","BINARY 1 -30 30","#","#","VALUE","#","#")

and
Executing: PathAllocation U:\Clusters2006\h99b99p30\h99b99p30_s C:\t\PathAll_h99b1 U:\Clusters2006\imped_h\g99bi30pir # # "BINARY 1 45" # "BINARY 1 -30 30" # # VALUE # #
Start Time: Wed May 30 09:32:44 2012
Succeeded at Wed May 30 09:35:45 2012 (Elapsed Time: 3 minutes 1 seconds)

This doesn't happen with other spatial analyst items like: KernelDensity, Flow, Sink, and map math functions.

what can I change?

Thank you,
Randy
0 Kudos
RandyRandolph
New Contributor
OK, I found it: the windows environment/system variable ARCTMPDIR

http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/29559

There is a difference between temp space and the scratch workspace ...

Thanks anyway,
Randy
0 Kudos
GreggHadish
New Contributor II
Same exact issue here.

The folder it's trying to write the GRID to (C:\Windows\System32 :confused:) is read only and requires admin privileges as dictated by user profiles assigned by our IT. I can't find anywhere in the environment settings where I can redirect it to a folder in which I do have permission to write.

Permissions are a recurring issue here (nearly exclusively with ESRI software) and there is no negotiating for increased admin privileges.

William were you able to resolve this issue; I have the same issue where ArcGIS is trying to write to the System32 directory where there is a permissions issue (not writable).
Thanks
0 Kudos
ClaireInbody
New Contributor
Same issue for me, but dont think its a system32 folder issue. Its just fails creating the contour data. Anyone get this resolved??
0 Kudos