ERROR 010423 on Reclassify of Raster Dataset only with installed SP1 and SP2

07-24-2011 09:15 AM
MartinBernhardt
New Contributor
Hello,

i am using Arc GIS 10 and i have the following problem:
When i start the tool "Reclassify" with a Raster DataSet i get the error massage :"ERROR 010423[...]does not have valid statistics as required by the operation."
So i tried to fix it with "calculat Statistics" for the Raster Dataset. But even after doing this, i got the same Error
I use Reclassify inside a modell and i know that it worked before i installed Service Pack 1 and 2 so i tried to remove the two servicepacks and now the Reclassify works.
I think its a bug in SP 1 because i first removed SP2 and tested , with no succes und than i removed SP1 and the failure was gone.
0 Kudos
14 Replies
RyanDeBruyn
Esri Contributor
Please note, it is not a bug in SP1 or SP2, it was an issue in 10.0.

Some spatial analysis tools require valid statistics for analyis. Statisitcs are invalid according to these rules.

1. Have not been calculated

2. Contain a skip factor greater than 1

3. Contain an ignore value

In 10.0 statistics where being built on the fly which was not ideal because we do not want to modify user input in any way, so instead we opt to return an error. That is why it fails in 10 SP1, 10 SP2 with the error message. 

The solution is to use Calculate Statistics so if that didn�??t work may need to find out why.  Try using the Calculate Statisitcs geoprocessing tool, or Copy Raster (specify Raster Analysis environment setting to build statistics).  Optionally, output to GRID will force valid statistics.  Other formats such as TIF, IMG, FGDB may have invalid statistics.

In 10.0 service pack 3, changes are planned to avoid the error and, if required, calculate statistics in memory (if they do not exist or are invalid). This way we do not alter any data and the tools should run successfully.

Please verify that the Calculate Statisitcs operation is working correctly. Good luck with your workflow. I appologize for any confusion.

Sincerley,
Ryan DeBruyn
0 Kudos
DavidYeany_II
New Contributor
I was having this same error with both Reclassify and Extract by Attributes on an IMG dataset. I tried the Calculate Statistics tool, but it still came back with the same error message. I realized I was trying to perform the operations outside of a file geodatabase. Once I set up the workspace environment in my new file geodatabase, both tools worked. So I guess my problem was not using the geodatabase workspace.

Thanks for the help!

David Yeany
0 Kudos
NAOMIPAUL
New Contributor III
Hello,

i am using Arc GIS 10 and i have the following problem:
When i start the tool "Reclassify" with a Raster DataSet i get the error massage :"ERROR 010423[...]does not have valid statistics as required by the operation."
So i tried to fix it with "calculat Statistics" for the Raster Dataset. But even after doing this, i got the same Error
I use Reclassify inside a modell and i know that it worked before i installed Service Pack 1 and 2 so i tried to remove the two servicepacks and now the Reclassify works.
I think its a bug in SP 1 because i first removed SP2 and tested , with no succes und than i removed SP1 and the failure was gone.

I am also receiving the same error messages intemittenetly. There is nothing wrong with the data and my tiff images error when trying to save to a file geodatabas. The only work around I have found is to save, close, reopen and then run the tool. It is also the same with the Extract geoprocessing tool. It works after the save and close without modifing the data. I am finding that I have to do this inbetween every geoprocessing tool.

I think it is a bug also.

ArcMap ArcInfo 10 SP 1
0 Kudos
RichardDaniels
Occasional Contributor III
Hello,

this issue is also seen with ArcGIS 10 SP 4. Specifically, REclassify, Reclass by Ascii file, Reclass by Table, and Lookup all fail with some data inputs (e.g., TIFF). If you close ArcGIS and restart 25% of the time one of the above tools will work, however no pattern was seen (e.g., Reclass by Ascii File in the 3D toolbox would work but the one in the Spatial Analysit toolbox would not).

Sounds like ESRI is not fully supporting TIFF image, one of the most popular formats for distributing satellite data.

I'm looking for a workaround on this.

Found that if I created a new file geodatabase and used that as the output location forthe Reclass by Table vs. outputing to a TIF it works.
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Richard,

I can assure you we are fully supporting the Tiff format.  It is our default output format for any tool in Data Management > Raster, assuming your workspace is set to a folder rather than a geodatabase.  It is the format we recommend using if you're serving raster data.  It is the format I most often work with and we definitely know how widespread the format usage is.  Tiff is kinda like vanilla ice cream in my opinion.  We have also added support for BigTiff format.

If a tool fails to output Tiff, but works with other formats it is a defect with the tool, and should be reported to Esri Support for further investigation. 

Best Regards,
Eric
0 Kudos
NeilSang
New Contributor II
Hi,

I am not sure if I am facing similar problem. I am trying to reclass a FGDBR raster (statistics calculated) with the followig Ascii table :

0 0.5 : 0
0.5 5 : 1
5 10 : 2
10 15 : 3
15 20 : 4
20 100 : 5

I was originally using ArcObject but when I couln't figure out why it wouldn't work tried it directly via ArcToolbox an got the same error.
I have tried integer only version , and a version with 1 to one mappings rather than ranges, just incase, but same error message :

Syntax error 010328
Syntax error 010267

I have managed to reclass the rater using Reclassify in Toolbox but I want to implement in ArcObjects and am not sure how to do this without ASCII/INFO table.

I am using Arc 10 with SP 3.

Regards

Neil
0 Kudos
NeilSang
New Contributor II
Problem was resolved with SP5 . However, it is worth noting that the ArcObject .Net version requires that the path does not contain any spaces. Perhaps add this to the user guide ESRI?
0 Kudos
GerardBourke
New Contributor II
I've been using zonal statistics a lot in my current project and have found it a fairly temperamental and buggy tool...

My main problem is that the tool will and then cut out at some point, returning me only a partially complete table.  Typically the polygons left out are always small ones (I'm trying to catch elevation & slope stats in a cadastre), so my guess is that the tool will give up if it encounters small polygons that may want to 'share' a cell from the raster.

Basically, my work around is an iterative process where I take successful ones and paste them into my 'base' shapefile, then run the tool again on another shapefile that contains the polygons were left over; I repeat this process until I get the "ERROR 010423" and I have to stop.

In a nutshell, I think in my case the tool has run into polygons that are too small to process or its running into some other rule that won't let the tool run, or some other bug?

This was happening on 10.0 with all service packs and again on 10.1 with SP1
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
For Zonal Statistics the omitting of the zones can be a problem depending on the size of the zone and the cell size.  If you do not have a raster cell that will fit in the rasterized version of the polygon. So based on your testing, I would consider making the raster a finer resolution prior to processing and see if this solves the issue.  There is a reference to this in the help documentation.

If the zone input is a feature dataset with relatively small features, keep in mind that the resolution of the information needs to be appropriate relative to the resolution of the value raster. If the areas of single features are similar to or smaller than the area of single cells in the value raster, in the feature-to-raster conversion some of these zones may not be represented.

To demonstrate this, try converting the feature dataset to a raster with the appropriate feature-to-raster conversion tool and specify the resolution to be that of the Value raster. The result from this conversion will give an indication about what the default output of the zonal operation will be.

If you have fewer results in the output than you may have expected, you need to determine an appropriate raster resolution that will represent the detail of your feature input, and use this resolution as the Cell Size of the Raster Analysis Settings of the Environment.
0 Kudos