3D Analyst Review

05-10-2011 03:46 AM
SimonKettle
Occasional Contributor III
Hi All,

I have been put in charge of our companies database where I am adding drilling site Z values (i.e current day meters above sea level) and well data depths such as straitigraphic surfaces and total depth of well etc...Once I have put the data into the attribute tables I intend to be able to review the data via ArcGIS and possible create some nice cartographic expressions of subsurface data.

Would you recommend the 3D analyst as an extention? [Which is kind of obvious seeing I am developing 3D data (but I also have access to Petrel)] and has anyone done a similar project where they would like to share experiences with the software.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JakubSisak
Occasional Contributor III
3D Analyst is great for visualizing terrain / surface data and draping imagery. You can easily visualize vertical and directional holes provided you already have 3D features created. In my humble optioni,  3D Analyst is like a white canvas; the underlying technology is there but it lack in out-of-the box functionality. I have a tool that converts borehole logs into 3D vertical lines but I had to build it from scratch with ArcObjects. Do you need to import and visualize directional drillholes or deviated drillholes with assay values, generate vertical cross sections, use advanced labeling options in 3D? Can't do any of that without advanced knowledge of programming and ArcObjects.

There are other 3rd party solutions but I would recommend you look at "Target for ArcGIS" by Geosoft. ESRI partner that has developed 2 ArcGIS extensions for mining and geology.  Does not require 3D Analyst. They offer a free trial and have a sample dataset and a tutorial that you can use to evaluate the software.

Another software I am a little familiar with which is apparently very popular in mining is GEMS and other packages by Gemcom.  Might be an overkill though and it is not user friendly stuff.
0 Kudos