ArcGIS for BIM

04-01-2011 01:23 AM
SrikanthKireeti
New Contributor II
Hi,
Anyone familiar with importing or working with Autodesk Revit Architecture datasets in ArcGIS... I am actually in the process of creating a virtual model of port facilities.

Thanks a million!
Srikanth.
Tags (1)
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Yes, you can bring your Revit data into ArcGIS, but not directly. What you need to do is export your Revit model to an IFC file. You can then use the data interoperability extension in ArcGIS to import the building into a GeoDatabase. It's a one to one output into the GDB, so you will have one table in the GDB for each table in the source IFC. You will have to manually create the relationship classes linking geographic features together using the table relates to re-establish the hierarchy between features. If your Revit file has spaces defined, there is a parameter you need to set in the Quick Import Data Interoperability tool that specifies if it should right out IFC spaces.

Eric Wittner

Hi,
Anyone familiar with importing or working with Autodesk Revit Architecture datasets in ArcGIS... I am actually in the process of creating a virtual model of port facilities.

Thanks a million!
Srikanth.
SrikanthKireeti
New Contributor II
Thanks Eric... That sounds pretty much of what i needed...But before the GIS epic starts, i have found out that i need to do some clean up with the revit file to export to IFC and also that the IFC model/version 2X3 is what is being used for geographic capability...So i need to first understand the export process at revit side and then probably get a grip on the GIS side. But still, thanks alot for the reply... I will keep posting my progress

Srikanth.
0 Kudos
SudheerChadalavada
New Contributor
Hi,
I was able to successfully get the IFC file into Geodatabase but its showing as 2d. Is there a way to get the zfactor into the gis or export IFC file to 3d featureclasses.
Thanks
0 Kudos
SrikanthKireeti
New Contributor II
Hi sudheer,

This is exactly wat i was meaning in my previous thread.. i suppose that ArcGIS does not provide you with the direct way of getting those type of attributes into your GDB files, rather you may actually explore the export options in Revit to IFC where in you may store the attributes of your Revit elements or families into the IFC file so that when you import it into ArcGIS it should be carrying wat you require....In fact i m still learning how to do it...wud let u knw wen it works 🙂
0 Kudos