Arpad 10 will not get a GPS Fix with my Trimble PRO-XH GPS Antenna

02-11-2011 03:02 AM
JamesPrimm
New Contributor
We were running Arcpad 7.1 and we used Trimble GPS correct extension, and everything was fine. We don't use the GPS correct much anymore since the data we're receiving in real time is sufficient for what we use it for.  I work for Cobb County Georgia and we've recently made a upgrade to Arcgis 10 and arcpad 10. When I installed arcpad 10 and make all the setting for connection to my Trimble PRO-XH, it will connect to the antenna but will not receive any GPS data from satellites. And to reconfirm when archpad 7.1 is installed it will connect to satellites and take GPS points flawlessly, but with arcpad 10 it will not get satellite info.

I have the following:

Panasaonic Toughbook CF-19
Trimble PRO-XH Antenna (Bluetooth connection)
Arcpad version 10

Was running Arcpad 7.1 with trimble GPS correct extension.

I???ve made the appropriate settings in arcpad to connect the GPS antenna.
In GPS Preferences I have the protocol on NMEA 0183. Com port on Com10 Toshiba BT port which is the port the antenna was established to the computer.

When I connect to the PRO-XH and open the GPS position window and scroll over to debug I see checksum errors. I can???t read any of the writing but the one thing I can is checksum error. I know it???s trying to read satellite data because when I???m outside the debug is being populated with computer language with checksum error popping up continuously. When I???m inside nothing gets populated in the debug.

Any clues???
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
KeaganAllan
New Contributor III
Hi,

I was just wondering how long have you left it ArcPas and the GPS on to establish a connection?
I have been using a Trimble Nomad and have found that it takes between 15 and 20 mins for a lock to be established.
When it is trying to connect have you opened the skyplot? Are there satellites in the skyplot, if so things should conect.

That is my experience with Trimble and ArcPad 8/10.
0 Kudos
GrahamW
Occasional Contributor II
Try Changing protocol from NMEA to TSIP.

alternativly you might need to download GPS controller from triimble to set your GPS to use NMEA
0 Kudos
JeremyNicoletti
New Contributor
I'm having a similar problem with ArcPad 8 SP4.

I'm using an Xplore Tablet PC connected via Bluetooth to a Trimble Pro XH GPS unit.

I ran into the "port in use by another application" error and resolved that with the Service pack 4 update.

Now, although I can get a fix with my GPS controller, I cannot get my ArcPad software to connect.

So far I've tried the following:
Disabled ActiveSync - (necessary for error code 5)
Disabled other background processes that might be connecting with the GPS. - (necessary to end error code 5)
GPS priority Extension - no effect

I'm testing the 20min. suggestion mentioned above, and also switching to TSIP protocol.  Is that the default protocol for Trimble units?

Before I was using the GPS controller to set the Trimble units to NMEA with no better luck.
0 Kudos
JeremyNicoletti
New Contributor
to update:

I was getting a confirmed signal after experimenting with GPS controller and using TSIP briefly.  This worked until I reset the unit from GPS controller, after which I received error code 5: COM port is in use by another application.
0 Kudos
AlexMahrou
Occasional Contributor
We were running Arcpad 7.1 and we used Trimble GPS correct extension, and everything was fine. We don't use the GPS correct much anymore since the data we're receiving in real time is sufficient for what we use it for.  I work for Cobb County Georgia and we've recently made a upgrade to Arcgis 10 and arcpad 10. When I installed arcpad 10 and make all the setting for connection to my Trimble PRO-XH, it will connect to the antenna but will not receive any GPS data from satellites. And to reconfirm when archpad 7.1 is installed it will connect to satellites and take GPS points flawlessly, but with arcpad 10 it will not get satellite info.

I have the following:

Panasaonic Toughbook CF-19
Trimble PRO-XH Antenna (Bluetooth connection)
Arcpad version 10

Was running Arcpad 7.1 with trimble GPS correct extension.

I�??ve made the appropriate settings in arcpad to connect the GPS antenna.
In GPS Preferences I have the protocol on NMEA 0183. Com port on Com10 Toshiba BT port which is the port the antenna was established to the computer.

When I connect to the PRO-XH and open the GPS position window and scroll over to debug I see checksum errors. I can�??t read any of the writing but the one thing I can is checksum error. I know it�??s trying to read satellite data because when I�??m outside the debug is being populated with computer language with checksum error popping up continuously. When I�??m inside nothing gets populated in the debug.

Any clues???

Change your protocol to TSIP and 9600 baud.  You should also be discovering two Bluetooth ports on the Pro when bonding.  Try the other port if you are still out of luck.
0 Kudos
benjarrell
New Contributor
I have the same set up and am seeing the same thing happening. Did you ever figure out a fix for your problem?
0 Kudos