Overlay a map over google map image

01-30-2011 05:45 PM
xariaD
by
New Contributor III
Hello,

Is it possible to overlay a map (a .mxd map created in ArcMap) over a google maps image.
We wish to extract the relevant image from google maps.( I don't know how) but suppose say we have a satellite image of the relevant map then can we overlay our maps on the image?

Second option, are we able to save a google map offline, coz the system will not have interent access. If so, then; we have an ArcGISDynamicMapServiceLayer and feature layer on an existing application. We wish to overlay these two layers on the google map.
Possible??? How?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DominiqueBroux
Esri Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor
Perhaps this is what you are looking for: http://help.arcgis.com/EN/webapi/javascript/gmaps/index.html
AFAIK this is also the only 'legal' way to do it.
0 Kudos
xariaD
by
New Contributor III

There are a few legal implications to keep in mind when using the Static Maps API:
The application must run in a Web browser (see 10.8). This means you cannot use it in a WPF, Silverlight out-of-browser, or Windows Phone application.

So the static map API can not be used with WPF application 😞

The ArcGIS Extension for the Google Maps API is also for webpages. 😞
So if the application is not a web based application, there is no way of using Google maps???
0 Kudos
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor
I didn't say there wasn't any way to do it. All I said was that there is no way to do it that complies with Google's Terms of Use (creating a google maps layer for the Silverilght API is actually VERY simple - apart from the lawyers part).

Can't you just use the Bing Maps layer instead? The data is just as good (if not even better) than Google's in many areas, and they are way less restrictive when it comes to using their data in 3rd party apps.
0 Kudos
xariaD
by
New Contributor III
I am not the decision maker here 😞
We wish to use image from Google.
How can we extract panoramic images from the google staellite view? And then how to convert those images to a layer to overlay our maps?
0 Kudos
xariaD
by
New Contributor III
Any inputs? Please.
0 Kudos