Crash on Start Up

12-29-2010 07:06 AM
LyleBoychuk
New Contributor
Hello
I have installed build 1500 on a Lenovo R400 laptop running XP and the application crashes on startup.  The application initiates....I get the ArcGIS Explorer splash screen...followed by a serious application error.  If anyone can help it would be much appreciated......

Lyle B
0 Kudos
7 Replies
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor
Lyle,

Suggest you use the ArcGIS Explorer "can you run it" to verify your Lenovo R400 laptop is capable of running.  Issues often with OpenGL 2.0 compliant support.  If all hardware checks out, post back and we can proceed with other avenues.

Stuart
0 Kudos
LyleBoychuk
New Contributor
Stuart
I ran the "can you run it" application and all minimum system requirements were met.  The only flag that popped up on the diagonstic was for "Recommended" configurations for the Video Card....the tool suggests that Pixel & Vertex Shading 4.0 would be better than 3.0 supported by the Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset on the machine......any further suggestions?

Lyle
0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor
Lyle,

I am at a loss. You should be good--any other ESRI ArcGIS components installed that may be out of sync?  Is your default printer defined and available when launching ArcGIS Explorer?

What error messages are you seeing? Anything of note in the system or application event logs?

Stuart
0 Kudos
LyleBoychuk
New Contributor
Stuart
No other ESRI software on this machine, the system and event logs contain a warning but not an error, not record of simular errors in the MS knowlege base.  And I actually disabled printing in the AGX configuration just in case there was an issue with the default printer (I cannot get far enough in AGX to see which printer the app is pointing to).  This is really frustrating, corporately we are currently running AGX on 10 machines, the only one I am having problems is this R400.

Lyle
0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor
Lyle,

If you're game you can try to capture a Microsoft Sysinternals process monitor log of the crash. And when you open it to view, since ArcGIS Explorer is throwing the error you will be able to locate the start of the Debug crash dump (I think it would be DbgHelp.dll) and work backward from there to identify the component crashing. Make it easy on yourself and start the PM log just before ArcGIS Explorer launch and close immediately after the crash.

Bump, ESRI -- Mike Branscomb, any comment on use of the Mobile Intel 4 series GPUs?

Stuart
0 Kudos
LyleBoychuk
New Contributor
Stuart
I will start a PM in an attempt to isolate the error.  I agree, I would also like to see if Mike has any light he can shed on my issue....

Lyle
0 Kudos
GreggHadish
New Contributor II
Stuart
I will start a PM in an attempt to isolate the error.  I agree, I would also like to see if Mike has any light he can shed on my issue....

Lyle

Were you able to resolve this issue of ArcGIS Explorer crashing on start-up?
0 Kudos