How to translate 2d scale to 3d scale

11-29-2010 06:35 AM
carmizion
New Contributor
Hi,

Has anyone an idea what is the formula, if any, for translation of 2d scale (for example: 1: 10000) to 3D scale (for example: distance from surface)?

Thanks,

Carmi
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MichaelStead
Occasional Contributor III
Scale is scale...but you are comparing apples and oranges I think.  For 3D objects (thinking of scale models) it is written from the perspective of the object, while map scale is from the perspective of the viewer.
0 Kudos
EvaWillerslev
New Contributor II
Carmi

Interesting question. I believe you can transfer the 2D scale directly to 3D. 3D scale is actually measured in 2D. Just think of a model of a house in scale 1:100. This means that if the model is 1 meter long then the real house is 100 meters long.

So if you have a map in 1:10.000 and the level of detail in the map corresponds to this map scale (which it should ) and assuming that the level of detail is preserved when you go to 3D, then the scale is also preserved in 3D.

Eva
www.emaps.dk
0 Kudos
Kerry_Shakarjian
New Contributor III
I've done some research and this thread is the closest I am finding to what I'm looking for, which is something similar to a 2D scale 1:1000. I cannot find this type of scale in the 3D section of ArcGIS Pro. Maybe its not possible to have scale in 3D? In Pro there is height above ground and elevation but I'm trying to tell someone, go to this "scale" to digitize and I can't find a scale factor in 3D. Another way to put it would be the distance to the object I guess?    I don't see any kind of way to determine distance to the object etc. in order to determine where to be in the scene for better accuracy while digitizing in the 3D realm. 
In the 2D realm we use scale to determine where to be in the "zoom" level but in 3D I can't find anything to reference for a "zoom" level.
Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Kerry_Shakarjian
New Contributor III

ESRI answer using Pro: First off, you are right there is no location scale on a 3d virtual world, there is only a camera distance and distance from observer. You can however still replicate the same scenario in 3d by tilting your camera view straight from top down view, completely directly above then controlling the distance from the observer point on the left corner of the map task bar you can specify the distance from your view and adjust the height. You could also type in the height value looking top down view at 90 degrees. Scale in 2D is not the same as Scale in 3D but there are ways to share a specific location for consistency and precision.

0 Kudos