footprint operation in ArcGIS 10 is not functional in 64-bit (Windows Server 2008 R2)

09-26-2010 12:12 AM
larryzhang
Occasional Contributor III
Hi,

With ArcGIS 10, the creation of mosaic dataset can be effectively done from many geo-referenced (spatially-corrected) images (tiles), including mean, blend, etc on overlapping areas among tiles, after running 'remove non-data' ArcTool command. This function adds good values to our existing workflow of imagery processing. Mostly, it gives us nice results.

Sometimes, only through the above-mentioned procedures, however, the final mosaic data is not good enough, especially when the overview is created.  So, we may need further to manually modify/refine footprints on some tiles from previously-created footprints, and then we create mosaic data again.  From my practices, it looks that the footprint function under 64-bit computer (Windows Server 2008 R2) is not working properly.  In other words, when the (modified) footprint is used to control /cut the boundary of tiles, it is not functional at all. This error is reproducible in other 64-bit workstations like Vista enterprise.

In fact, the boundary file also is not re-defined after manually modifying / editing, so that it has same behavior as footprint.

I tested it under four 64-bit computers (2 Windows Server 2008 R2 and 2 Vista Enterprise workstations).

Is it a bug, any wrong configurations, or any extra procedures to be done?

Regards,
0 Kudos
7 Replies
MelanieHarlow
Esri Contributor
Have you modified the following on the Mosaic Dataset Properties:
Click the Defaults tab and change the Always Clip the Image to its Footprint property to Yes.

Mosiac dataset footprints
Mosaic dataset properties
0 Kudos
larryzhang
Thanks firstly for your attention and reply. Secondly, on your advice, yes, we always do choose that ('Always Clip the Image to its Footprint'). In fact, it didn't work at all. I am not sure if it is a bug under 64-bit? (I tested, veryfied it in four 64-bit PCs, and got similar results).

Besides, it is worth, maybe, to mention one more thing for your attention:

Topic:

'Define NON-data' operation should be integrated into the existing processes within 'Add Rasters To Mosaic Dataset'

Details:

Currently, in 'Add Rasters To Mosaic Dataset' during Mosaic Dataset creation, there are three options for users to check:
1. Update Cell Size Range (Optional)
2. Update Boundary (Optional)
3. Update Overviews (Optional)

They work in some cases, especially, with rectangle scenes (footprints). However, mostly (for example, adding imagery of irregular scenes, or appending latest images into existing mosaic dataset, etc), they are not good enough to make final results nicer, especially, without 'Define NON-data' and 'Update Footprint' operations in the chain.

From my practices, it would be better to have the following chain:
1. Update Cell Size Range (Optional)
2. Define NON-data (Optional)
3. Update Footprint
4. Update Boundary
5. Update Overviews (Optional)

For the option 'Define NON-data', it is good enough just to consider the simplest case like '0' for 'ALL Bands' under this chain. When users check this option, 'Update Footprint' (even 'Update Boundary') should be automatically checked as well.

Best regards,
0 Kudos
larryzhang
Just be informed that for unknown reasons, this 'footprint updated' issue is solved on Vista Enterprise (64-bit) .

I am still trying it on Windows Server 2008 (R2).
0 Kudos
MichaelHaley
New Contributor
ok. would someone please tell me exactly where that remove non-data tool is - don't just say in arc-tools. I have been looking all over. I am on a 64-bit machine. And I seem to get a different result ever time I create a mosaic.
0 Kudos
larryzhang
Generally, mojarity of those script tools are located at Raster/Mosaic Dataset toolset in ArcCatalog 10.

On my practices, if working on plenty of images (with enough overlapping areas, if using shrinking parameter) to remove areas of Nodata, the following steps should be used:

Step 1: to change the footprint setting on the Mosaic Dataset Properties dialog box on the MosaicDataset. Click the Defaults tab and change the Always Clip the Image to its Footprint property to Yes;

Step 2: to use the standard ArcMap feature editing tools to do manual editing operation. or

Step 3: NoData values can also be automatically removed from display in a mosaic dataset using the Define Mosaic Dataset NoData tool. This tool will allow us to specify more than one NoData value; (Just be careful, when you are using the shrinking parameter, in particular, if the images with limited overlapping areas).  Please link to http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Define_Mosaic_Dataset_NoData/001700000... for the details;

Step 4: to re-define or modify the footprints using the Build Footprints tool to perform some systematic calculations, please refer to the link http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Recalculating_footprints_radiometrical... for more understanding;

If you are following the above-mentioned steps, your results of MosaicDataset (with or without overviews) should be reproducable. In fact, it also can be used to clip off the collars of scanned maps or remove the black frame and fiducial marks around georeferenced, scanned aerial photography, especially, with manual editing operations.

Besides, on my experiences, those script tools in ArcGIS 10 are much more flexible, efficient, and accurate than similar ones in ArcGIS 9.3/9.3.1 (Image Service Editor)
0 Kudos
larryzhang
Please install SP1 (ArcGIS 10), which was released on Nov/Dec 2010.

The issue �??some of footprint operations are not functional�?? was addressed within this Service Pack 1. At least, it includes:

NIM059705 - Cannot shrink footprints when trying to reset footprints of a mosaic dataset.

NIM059867 - When re-computing footprints for a table-based raster type containing ortho in the function chain, the footprints disappear.

NIM059869 - When running the build footprints tools on imagery containing a range of pixel values to be ignored (typically? �??compressed imagery), the output footprints generated are self intersecting and invalidates the MD, causing all other operations after the build footprint to fail (including build boundary).

Please link to http://downloads2.esri.com/support/downloads/other_/ArcGIS-10sp1-issues.htm for more.
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
The 'Define No Data' should only be used when you have only NoData in values of 0.  The setting of 0 for all bands will define the value of 0 in each band to be Nodata, so a RGB pixel value of 0,0,0 will be no data, but so will 0, 189, 201.  For 3 band rasters, I recommend using the Build footprint to change the footprint and use the Define Nodata in rasters that only have one value to remove. 

Data Management > Raster > Mosaic Dataset for the tools.  (Must be ArcEditor or ArcInfo to manipulate the Mosaic Dataset)

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//001700000087000000.htm
0 Kudos