AddField should be able to add a shape field to a table

08-13-2014 02:22 AM
Labels (1)
KimOllivier
Occasional Contributor III

I have a table that I want to make into a featureclass by adding a shape field and then populating the values.
This is not supported so I looked for alternatives. They are all very clumsy.

It comes about because I have a many to many relation so a simple join will not do. I want the first point from one featureclass to populate many rows in the table so that I end up with a featureclass with some coincident points.

Suggestion 1: In CreateFeatureClass() there is a <template> option. This will do.... oh no it won't! Why not? We already have to define a shape type and the spatial reference template at the end of the options is required for the spatial reference.  So why cannot we just use a table as a template without a shape field?

Suggestion 2: Simply allow AddField to add a shape field with suitable spatial reference. Then I don't have to painfully copy the table row by row into a dummy featureclass using a Python cursor. This is tricky to set up a field list, strip off the objectid field carefully and loop about.

Suggestion 3: Just use FME and abandon ArcGIS. Because this is available as a workaround nothing will change I fear.

Once I have the ( null) shape field it would be easy to populate it from a dictionary of XY values obtained from another featureclass.

Another complex workaround which could handle a many to one would be to use a Querylayer but both tables have to be in the same geodatabase so that would be another copy of another table.

I am ending up with a slow complex Python script that could be a simple one-liner.

2 Comments
KimOllivier
I have found a workaround at 10.3 - use a spatlalite database where you can do precisely this. Add a shape column to an existing table. Apparently every other GIS in the world already works like this!
SSWoodward
Status changed to: Closed

This idea has been closed as a duplicate of the Data Management Idea linked below. Don't worry, you can still show your support by commenting and adding kudos to the open idea. Thanks for your contributions!

Link to open, duplicate Idea