Warn if we are trying to adjust a polygon when we cannot see any boundaries

Idea created by lygismav on Aug 11, 2014
    New
    Score10
    • lygismav
    Hello,

I noticed that it is possible to inadvertanly adjust polygons without any feedback from ArcGIS that the boundary has been moved.

Specifically in my case I have a Geodatabase that contains points, lines, and polygons.  I often swich between editing each type of feature so it is convienent for me to leave all of these features selecteable.  However, it is possible to unintentially adjust polygon boundaires when I only intend to adjust points.

Normal steps used to adjust points.
    1.           Zoom into the point that I need to move.
    2.           Select the point.
    3.           Unselect the polygon boundaries.  NOTE these boundaries may be about the size of a township, so I often cannot see the boundaires of the polygons.  The only place I see that they are selected is if I happen to have the "List By Selection" tab open in the Table Of Contents.
    4.           Move the point to the new desired location.

Steps that my cause an inadverdant boundary shift to polygons:
    1.           Zoom into the point that I need to move.
    2.           Select the point.
    3.           Unselect the polygon boundaries.
    4.           Move the point to the new desired location.
    If I forget to unselect the polygon boundaries in step 3, and I am zoomed in far enough that I do not see any polygon boundaries, then it may be possible that I could inadvertanly move a polygon, and not even realzie it.

Requested solutions to consider to stop users from indavertanly moving features they cannot see:
    •           Make it easier to spatially lock and unlock feature layers.
    •           Have ArcGIS warn users "You are zoomed in so far that you cannot see any of the boundaries of a polygon that you are about to move.  Do you really want to move this feature?"
    Thanks