Allow Feature Access on query layers with computed column

04-17-2014 08:30 AM
ErikEngstrom
Occasional Contributor II
When publishing a service with feature access, you cannot include any tables that include computed columns.
In our case, I wanted to calculate the latitude/longitude from the SHAPE column by using the SQL geometry functions. In this instance, Latitude and Longitude would be dynamically calculated from the feature's geometry and stored in their respective fields.

Another case, could be for creating unique ID's from a predefined ID system.
Or for concatenating objects.
Or for creating time differences.

Etc.

I feel that this enhancement would greatly improve data and the ease at which data is created and can then be shared. This would be especially powerful when utilizing mobile data collection techniques, so that reports could be greated dynamically, without having to go back to the office to process additional data by calculating fields in GIS. 
1 Comment
JoseReyes3
I our case we have a feature service to record scorecards at the field.  The SQL Server Table contains one computed column to calculate the total score, which is a simple sum of several columns.  

We can edit existing scorecards and the new calculated score will be displayed after "refreshing" the scorecard, i.e., opening another scorecard and then open the original scorecard to display the new value.

What we cannot do is create a new scorecard as it seems to be sending a value for the calculated column, though we specified read only for it.