HTML5 GUI design

Idea created by patrick.jurgens on Feb 19, 2014
    New
    Score40
    For python development (on ArcMap for desktop, in my case) it would be very nice to be able to develop custom GUIs to interface with my script using HTML5. I could see this being the next step in Python AddIns or else just a new, stand-alone module (that could be used for AddIns, or separately from them) to bind the Python code to the HTML GUI.

There currently is not a good way to build custom GUIs for arcpy scripts that are run in an arcmap window (because the standard TkInter libary conflicts with arcmap). The button, combo-box features provided by python AddIns are nice, but they do not cover the full range of GUI demands.

HTML is a good fit because many people already know the basics, so many developers would not need to learn a new syntax in order to get started. It would also alow templates to be shared and re-used very easily.

Since HTML is already very widely used, I would imagine building a reliable parser/viewer into ArcGIS to render custom GUIs would not be especially difficult.