Make ArcGIS desktop GPS support Garmin output format

10-16-2013 02:49 AM
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor
I acquired a Garmin eTrex 30 and tried to connect it to ArcGIS 10.2 desktop. I failed to make it connect and then I read in the Help file under the page Information about connecting to a GPS device that ArcGIS supports only NMEA format.

The eTrex 30 outputs only Garmin format.

Correct me if I am wrong but is Garmin not one of the biggest GPS manufacturing in the world? OK it may not be high precision Trimble survey grade but there are many studies where a handheld GPS is more than sufficient.

It seems like a massive oversight to not support native Garmin output format. To say its not an industry standand (as mentioned in other comments on the ideas site) is as odds with other components of the ArcGIS family. For example the spanking new GeoEvent Processor can consume twitter feeds, so is twitter industry standard now?

So in a nut shell please add Garmin output format to the supported formats that ArcMap can use when connecting a GPS unit directly to ArcMap.
2 Comments
BruceHarold
Hi

Is the format used GPX?  http://www.rambler-info.org.uk/gps/howto/ht_rec_etrex10.htm
If so the GPX to Features tool will convert the data.

Regards
DuncanHornby
Bruce,

It does produce GPX format but I'm looking to hook the unit up to a running session of ArcMap through the GPS toolbar so one can get a current location live on screen. It appears that NMEA is the only accepted format.