Remove Duplicates in Maplex Key Numbering Tables

07-16-2013 01:09 PM
Labels (1)
MikeMiller
New Contributor II

Maplex Key Numbering does not follow the label density rules set for the other label fitting strategies. This can create a situation in which the key table labels multiple segments without regard for proximity or redundancy.  Case in point: this odd shaped street in Gulfport, MS with a divided boulevard and a roundabout.

0EME0000000TfBG

Key numbering ignores the label density setting for segment length and so precludes any “tuning” of the labels displayed.

A fix for this situation would be if the Key Numbering tables generated by the Maplex Label Engine would (give the option to) filter for unique values and remove duplicates.  As this is purely a table function and not influenced by geometry it should be fairly easy to implement. This would reduce label clutter and produce a clearer, more concise product.

2 Comments
CraigWilliams
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

I'm unable to reproduce this myself (using 10.8.1). Maplex respect the "Minimum feature size for labeling" and other label density settings. If removing duplicates is the desired result, I'd recommend using that option if the "Connect features" option with "minimize labels" doesn't work for the streets you have.

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Closed

Given that this idea was submitted in 2013, and the issue is not reproducible in 10.8.1, we're closing the idea.

Thank you for your participation in ArcGIS Ideas. We appreciate the community's input into the software development process.