Immediately after opening MXD/LYR in ArcMap or previewing MXD/LYR in ArcCatalog, ArcGIS should identify missing links and inform the user by displaying an alert message: “Sorry for inconvenience but ArcMap has found # missing links…” (with expandable list of missing layers and data sources). The report should be followed by offering possible solutions:
- automatically resolve missing links – search the neighborhood, update sources from the best matching results automatically or manually (let the user to choose the right source)
- manually resolve missing links – list missing layers (with former path) and allow the user to pick a new location of missing layers or workspaces,
- delete missing layers or leave map document as is.
This functionality would greatly help the user to always stay informed and to have better control of map document’s integrity. The idea is based on Broken data links manager idea. The same functionality is provided by Adobe After Effects, Autodesk 3ds Max, Adobe InDesign, etc.
- Advanced Data Source Management
- Universal Control Panel – data availability statistics in Data Frame control panel
- Display and manage Map Document contents in ArcCatalog