Enterprise Geodatabase Encryption (Security)

01-24-2013 01:09 AM
Labels (1)
EmadAl-Mousa
Occasional Contributor III

In Large Organizations that utilizes GIS Enterprise systems, "security" is one of the major challenges that GIS IT professionals are facing.

Currently, many database management systems (Oracle, Sql-Server, DB2,...etc) are providing "security solutions" among them is "Data Encryption". Since, ESRI is providing "Geospatial Data Reposatory" which is the Geodatabase, the issue of securing and protecting these Geospatial data emerges especially with data classified as highly sensitive.

My idea is the follwoing:

Implementing a data encryption security implimentation from ArcSDE  Enterprise Geodatabase side (especially if i am not using any encryption soltuion from the database i am working on). This will enable the ArcSDE Geodatabase Administrator to encrypt  selected (feature classess).

Also, ESRI will need to evaluate the perfomance of  encrypting "spatial data" with ArcGIS suits that are utilizing them such as ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Server (Map services).

2 Comments
Srinivasa_Kondala_RaoVepa
any update on implement data encryption in ArcSDE Enterprise Geodatabase.
ThomasColson

I down voted, don't think this one can be pulled off. Encryption is proprietary to the flavor of the database. I have enabled TDE on MSSQL, and forced certificates, which led to an arduous exercise of editing ODBC connections to recognize the encryption. On the performance? Horrible! Even with a local SDE, Arc Map performance dropped by a casually estimated 50%. If you're pushing your SDE services into a hosted feature service, adding https to the service end point accomplishes what you seek, in a round about way.