Ability to permit other users to edit and save metadata, other than the owner

Idea created by ldoorn on Nov 7, 2012
    New
    Score120
    Ability to permit other users to edit and save metadata, other than the owner

We want to create metadata on feature class views, but we found out that only the owner of the view is able to do so. We have tested if we were able to edit metadata with different users on different objects in an Enterprise Geodatabase. The results of this test can be found in the table below.

Ability to edit metadata:
                                              Owner                     sde                     dba role                     standard user
                        owner.sde table                     yes                     yes                     yes                     yes
                        owner.sde feature class                     yes                     yes                     yes                     yes
                        owner.sde table view                     yes                     yes                     yes                     yes
                        owner.sde.raster data set                     yes                     yes                     yes                     no
                        owner.sde feature class view                     yes                     no                     no                     no
    Note:grants for SDE.GDB_USERMETADATA are set
    GRANT SELECT ON GDB_USERMETADATA TO PUBLIC WITH GRANT OPTION;
    GRANT ALTER, DELETE, INSERT ON GDB_USERMETADATA TO PUBLIC;

Esri Netherlands ran a test:

We have loaded  feature class “wegen” using copy/paste into SDE931 (SDO_GEOMETRY). Thereafter we have created a view with ArcSDE 9.3.1:

D:\ArcSDE_old\ArcSDE931\ora10gexe\bin>sdetable -o create_view -T wegen_view -u martina -p martina -s oraclesupport -i 5152 -t wegen -c objectid,shape,se_anno_cad_data,name1

ArcSDE 9.3.1  for Oracle10g Build 3074 Fri Nov  5 09:36:48  2010
    Attribute        Administration Utility
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Successfully created view wegen_view.

If you are logged in as user martina, it is possible to create metadata on the view using ArcCatalog. Therefore it seems like it is NOT impossible to create metadata on a feature class view.

Thereafter we granted permissions to user niels:

D:\ArcSDE_old\ArcSDE931\ora10gexe\bin>sdelayer -o grant -U niels -A select  -i 5152 -s oraclesupport -l wegen_view,shape -u martina -p martina

Layer    Administration Utility
    SDE Access has been changed.

If you are logged in as Niels: the edit metadata button is greyed out in ArcCatalog.

So, we gave user niels more permissions:

D:\ArcSDE_old\ArcSDE931\ora10gexe\bin>sdelayer -o grant -U niels -A select,update,insert,delete  -i 5152 -s oraclesupport -l wegen_view,shape -u marti
    na -p martina

Result: Still unable to edit the metadata of the view.

Maybe we should be granting permissions with the –I option:

D:\ArcSDE_old\ArcSDE931\ora10gexe\bin>sdelayer -o grant -U niels -A select,update,insert,delete  -i 5152 -s oraclesupport -l wegen_view,shape -u marti
    na -p martina -I

And:

D:\ArcSDE_old\ArcSDE931\ora10gexe\bin>sdetable -o grant -U niels -A select,update,insert,delete  -i 5152 -s oraclesupport -t wegen_view -u martina -p
    martina -I

Attribute        Administration Utility
    Permissions successfully granted on table wegen_view.

Result: Still unable to edit metadata.

Now we add grants on the underlying table:

D:\ArcSDE_old\ArcSDE931\ora10gexe\bin>sdelayer -o grant -U niels -A select,update,insert,delete  -i 5152 -s oraclesupport -l wegen,shape -u martina -p
    martina -I

And:

D:\ArcSDE_old\ArcSDE931\ora10gexe\bin>sdetable -o grant -U niels -A select,update,insert,delete  -i 5152 -s oraclesupport -t wegen -u martina -p mart
    na -I

Attribute        Administration Utility
    Permissions successfully granted on table wegen.

Result: Still unable to edit metadata…

We noticed that user niels IS able to create metadata on the underlying feature class ‘wegen’. Therefore we believe that this behavior is specific to feature class views.

Esri US informed us that at present, there is no workaround to the software limitation and only the owner of the spatial view has the ability to edit the metadata and save the edits for other users to see.

Please implement this functionality in a future release.