Add "Currency" and "Percentage" field types to ArcGIS Online in pop ups

06-29-2012 11:31 AM
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

There is currently no easy way to display currency and percentage data in ArcGIS Online charts and pop-ups. These are very common types of information and the system should handle them better whereas currently the user must manually format them. Additionally, if these types appear in charts there is currently no way to have them appear with customary formatting conventions (e.g., you can't put $ or % in chart mouse-over tips).

Suggest adding "Currency" (US$ and eventually others) and "Percentage" field types. These field types should provide reasonable default formatting and enable appropriate formatting options in the Format Fields dialog.

• Currency would always be prefixed by a "$" and have options for only 0 or 2 decimal places.
  • Percentages would show the user-selected number of decimal places, optional 1000s separator, and always be followed by a "%." Also an option should be included for moving the decimal point two places for all data (e.g., if the data stored 0.50, 0.01, and 0,35, then 50%, 1% and 35% could be shown).

This suggestion would also apply in certain respects to ArcGIS for Server and the Geodatabase.

7 Comments
NonieCastro1
Also - can we be allowed to change the default setting from "2 decimal places" to "0 decimal places"? I very very very rarely need 2, most often I have to change them all - one by one - to 0. 
EmilyLee
Yes, it'd be a nicer finish if "%" is available instead of representing data in decimals only.  
For example:
0EME0000000TitX
SarahRichardson

I added the expression below as suggested above, it works in my web map, but not in the web app.

return Text($feature.TOTAL_ELIGIBLE_PROJECT_COST, '$ ###,###,###');

by Anonymous User

So after almost 7 years, what is the status? And we shouldn't have to use Arcade or any added steps to do this either. You can add symbols and suffixes in Pro, should be able to do it online. I've also posted an idea like this and haven't heard anything, Add Symbols and Suffixes to Pop-Ups in AGOL.

Michael_Kraus

Unfortunately we missed the 10th birthday of this idea.  How hard is it for ESRI to include these standard formats in AGOL / Enterprise?  Sure you can write Arcade expressions, but we shouldn't have to and they also change the format to string which then prevents statistics and numerical calculations being used.  When is this going to be implemented?

ChelseaRozek

Wow, almost 12 years old now. All I want is to be able to put a currency sign in front of currency fields. I agree, we shouldn't have to write Arcade for this. I just want to use a fields list in the popup. I love that I can remove the thousands separator on numeric fields and the time on datetime fields, so I was hoping this was doable.

AndrewMPO

This is absolutely needed and necessary. Especially if I already have this formatted in an ArcGIS Pro project (like I do currently), it needs to carry over to ArcGIS Online!