Rebroadcast Plenary in the GeoLounge for Int'l UC Late Arrivals

Idea created by dananrg on Mar 22, 2012
    New
    Score10
    • dananrg
    At the 2011 Int'l UC, content was being broadcast in the GeoLounge and/or Internet Access area. People were camped out around a screen and it made me wonder what was being shown. I thought it was a clever use of the space. But that's all I knew. A sign next to the screen displaying content and times would have helped.

So... if you're not already doing so, please consider rebroadcasting the Plenary at various times in the SDCC during late afternoons and early evenings. This would help attendees who, for whatever reason, missed the Live Plenary. Sure, there are dozens of bloggers summarizing Plenary content. But it's nice to have unfiltered access to Plenary content sans editorializing.

It could also help those whose budgets force them to pick and choose conference days. I suspect some arrive on a Monday night, do a day or two of Technical Workshops, then depart. While I don't know the numbers--and the Plenary always seems well attended--rebroadcasting the Plenary on-premise would be a courtesy for some UC attendees. Jet-lagged, sleep deprived international guests may particularly appreciate it.

No one should miss the Plenary Live if they can help it. It's energizing, inspiring, and sets the stage--quite literally--for the week to come. On the one hand, you don't want to "incent" folks to skip the Plenary. But a certain number of people are going to miss it each year regardless. Why not serve this need and encourage some "geo geek" bonding over on-premsise rebroadcasts?

Here are some other ideas worth repeating. Especially the first two (aren't these no brainers given Esri's educational mission, etc?):

Offer ArcGIS for Home at ArcEditor (Standard) license level--not just ArcView (Basic)
    Offer ArcGIS for Home at ArcEditor (Standard) license level--not just ArcView (Basic)

Offer ArcGIS Server for Home / ArcSDE for Home educational-use programs
    Offer ArcGIS Server for Home / ArcSDE for Home educational-use programs

Eliminate or re-engineer new 20 minute tech workshops at the Int'l UC
    http://esri.force.com/ideaView?id=08730000000bqfH

Publish instructor led training lecture and exercise manuals online in PDF format - ArcSDE, ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Desktop
    Publish instructor led training lecture and exercise manuals online in PDF format - ArcSDE, ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Desktop

Include ArcGIS for Home with Esri Enterprise License Agreements (ELAs)
    Include ArcGIS for Home with Esri Enterprise License Agreements (ELAs)

Provide "social proof", e.g. those who voted for this idea also voted for...
    Provide "social proof", e.g. those who voted for this idea also voted for...