Give Arcpy cursors the ability to specify units for row.shape.area and row.shape.length

Idea created by burt_mcalpine on Feb 28, 2012
    New
    Score20
    While in a cursor you can access the area (row.shape.area) and length (row.shape.length).  this returns the length and area in the units of the cursors projection.  it would be nice to have the ability to specify the desired units.  For example I have a polygon file and I want acres to be populated in the acres field.  so maybe row.shape.area.acres or  row.shape.area(acres).    Same for the length, I have a shape in UTM meters and I need feet.  I know the field calculator will do this, but I already have a cursor that is doing other things such as centroid and other field calculations, not to mention that the field calculator is much slower than just adding a few lines to an existing cursor.

Here is field calculator unit conversions.  If those conversions could be made accessible via a cursor that would be great.

Areal unit of measure keywords: Unit of measure keywords: ACRES | ARES | HECTARES | SQUARECENTIMETERS | SQUAREDECIMETERS | SQUAREINCHES | SQUAREFEET | SQUAREKILOMETERS | SQUAREMETERS | SQUAREMILES | SQUAREMILLIMETERS | SQUAREYARDS | SQUAREMAPUNITS

Linear unit of measure keywords: CENTIMETERS | DECIMALDEGREES | DECIMETERS | FEET | INCHES | KILOMETERS | METERS | MILES | MILLIMETERS | NAUTICALMILES | POINTS | YARDS