Fix the "Cancel" button for Geoprocessing, Export Map dialogs, pretty much everything

Idea created by msiadak on Feb 28, 2012
    Partially Implemented
    Score840

In ArcGIS Desktop, some program operations can take a very long time.  Oftentimes, I find that I've made a mistake in the interface and want to stop some long process that I've accidentally begun.  Unfortunately, it seems like the "cancel" button on -many- geoprocessing tools and in certain other dialogs (export map during data driven pages, etc.) is merely for show.  Cancelling either takes an exorbitant amount of time (5+ minutes) or doesn't work at all because the entire ArcGIS Desktop interface is lagging out.  This is a problem that wastes countless hours for ArcGIS users and is a black mark on the overall quality of the software.

The cancel button should stop whatever process it's attached to immediately or in a reasonable amount of time (<1 minute).  There's no reason for the entire ArcGIS interface to lag to the point where you can't click the cancel button when doing a mildly complex operation in the software, and there's no reason for the cancel button to be there if it doesn't even work correctly.