ARC GIS for SharePoint is a great tool for display of geolocated SharePoint data and spatial analysis across an enterprise; however, it stops short of its potential because it does not allow designers or end users to export their maps to a format that could be used for presentations and decision support. The ability to export map web parts as PDFs or JPEGs would allow users to:
- Give, executives, managers and non-GIS professionals the ability to use GIS content for presentations and decision support
- Create useful documents that could be included in presentations and white papers
- Make GIS more accessible to non-GIS professionals
- Expand the range of communication options for GIS content
- Allow GIS professionals to create canned content that would be more useful to non-GIS professionals due to its its exportability
Another idea which is related to this is to create the ability to have an always displayable and printable (also exportable) legend as a part of ARCGIS for SharePoint web parts . I have discussed this idea further in another post. It suffices to say here that with this legends capability and the ability to export to a presentable format, managers and executives without GIS experience would be able to export maps with legends to use in their presentations for decision support and greatly increase the impact, accessibility and visibility of Esri ARCGIS and ARCGIS for SharePoint.