Layer Symbology should include Label settings

10-13-2011 02:17 PM
Labels (1)
TimothyTresohlavy1
New Contributor II
Roadway files include many symbol classifications (Interstate, US Highway, State Highways, Local Roads, Ramps, etc.), each of these have a different symbology (color, thickness, label) AS WELL AS a different label (Interstate shield, US Highway shield, State Highway shield, local road name, or <null>).

When saving symbology as a layer file (.LYR) the label settings are not included, so I have to re-work label settings every time. It's very frustrating and a waste of time.

0EM30000000CsVN
7 Comments
JenniferBorlick
Um, I guess I'm not understanding the request, but that is one of the things that saving a layer file does... I use a roads layer file daily that has the label symbology pre-defined. When you save a layer file it saves every setting in all of the tabs.
DeborahVeen
If you add the lyr file as a layer both the symbology and label properties are present.  However you can not import labels from a layer file, like you can do with symbology.  I agree that the ability to import label properties from a lyr file would be very helpful.

JakubSisak
I made an Add-In for this. (Import labels from Layer )
It is available for download here: http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=dbb7be9d2c1c491e8c1a067ffd58aea8

JAKUB SISAK photography
To see my photography please visit:
facebook | fine art america | 500px | Flickr
0EME0000000TR41
ClaudeF
This functionality would be great to have built in!
ThomasStanley-Jones
Huge timesaver for me if Esri implements this idea.  I would be super excited about this one.
AlexZhuk
XTools has Copy?Paste tool for symbology and labels
WendyHarrison
Status changed to: Closed

Hi - In ArcGIS Pro layer files bring across the label information - placement and symbol properties.  If you are seeing issues please contact Technical Support.

thanks

Wendy