Disconnect ArcSDE connections when ArcGIS closes

Idea created by stsnider on Apr 8, 2011
    New
    Score340
    ArcSDE 10 SP1 on Windows Server 2003.  Oracle 11G R2

We have a constant problem with hanging ArcSDE connections.  I have instructed my GIS users to close ArcSDE connections before they close ArcMap or ArcCatalog, as this is the "best practice" method suggested by ESRI.  Still, we get hanging connections (connections listed in ArcSDE when the user doesn't have ArcGIS open).  The easiest way to get rid of hanging connections is the restart ArcSDE.

It would be a better process if ArcGIS (ArcMap and ArcCatalog) automatically disconnected from ArcSDE when a user closes the ArcGIS application.  Why it is not already like this, I have no idea. 

The ArcGIS Server standard license only allows 50 active connections.  So you can see that hanging connections (phantom connections) are a problem with a large organization.  We can't afford the Advanced license, so I have to police our users to make sure they remember to close a connection before closing ArcGIS.  I also restart ArcSDE once a week to clear up hanging connections.

Please ESRI, fix this problem with hanging connections.  It was a problem in 9.x and is still a problem in 10.x.