Functionality Similar to MS Access built into ArcGIS for File Geodatabases, etc.

Idea created by jeanguychauvin on Sep 27, 2010
    Duplicate
    Score130

I use MS Access often to quickly and easily create database queries on GIS data using QBE because the basic query capabilities currently built into ArcMap is extremely limited. Although GIS tabular data can be imported into Access, there is a problem when there is a change in GIS data and the query results in the Access database do not reflect the changes in this GIS data that the queries are based upon.

Anyway I've been wondering for some time now why can’t ESRI bring this type of functionality into ArcGIS (via ArcMap, ArcCatalog, or whatever)? Since the queries would be run within an ArcMap session for example, a lock on the feature classes could be managed here as well so that no edits can be made on these queried feature classes while running these queries. Also isn't a file geodatabase a relational database to begin with? So why can't we use it like an MS Access RDBMS within and managed by ArcGIS? This could of course be applied to other geodatabases and tables as well. ESRI has been using geodatabases for some time now and there’s no reason that I could think of why ESRI still can’t make full use of them like this (aside from within SQL Server, Oracle, etc.).

P.S. Sorry for reposting this, but I noticed after my initial post that the title "MS Access functionality within ArcMap for File Geodatabases, etc" could easily be misinterpreted to 'using MS Access within ArcMap'.  Which brings me to another suggestion that ESRI should allow you to at least delete your own post?

This idea has been marked as a Duplicate of Provide an ODBC driver for the ESRI file geodatabase.  Scores will be considered together.  If you've found this idea for the first time and would like to vote in support of it, please visit Provide an ODBC driver for the ESRI file geodatabase