Requesting a Sub-Subtype Option

08-10-2010 10:56 AM
KenBeville
New Contributor III
Controlling data can be challenging.  As an electric utility I have alot of requirements on data.  An example would be street lights.  I have 100+ options for lights and about 10 fields that need controlling, however, I have no desire to create 100+ subtypes since this would be tough to manage.  Current we have only two subtypes in order to symbolize upon.  As a way of controlling the large amount of optional data we propose a 'sub-subtype' or 'classifcation' (a second tier of data control).  This way I can establish a series of classifications that control fields for each subtype without overwhelming the display and query functions that could occur with having too many subytpes.
2 Comments
RadekFujak
Topology can use subtypes. If one feature class had multiple subtypes, I could define topology rules much, much more conveniently.

I vote for this feature thousand times 🙂
RobertBorchert
You should be able to do that with Domains.  You can create your base subtype and then for a particular attribute you can assign a domain to only one or more attributes in different subtypes.

I think sub subtypes would get in the way of templates.  And if you added a new domained attribute to your feature you would have to visit ever single iteration possible and manually set the domian for each subtype.

Perhaps you could share you 100+ options and someone may be able to suggest a better way to do it.