Option to keep the field name alias when exporting

08-06-2010 11:45 AM
Labels (1)
DeborahVeen
New Contributor III

I appreciate the ability to create an alias for field names within the attribute table.  I would like to have the option added when exporting data or tables, for whether the original names or aliases should be used for the field names in the new layer or table. 

5 Comments
BruceLang
Yes, using field name alias' would be handy when exporting data  - especially to shapefile format where the field names are sometimes truncated.
jennifergarner
This would be very helpful. Many of our fields are coded domains. When our GIS analysts go to export the attribute data, they are usually doing it to provide our clients with a quick excel report of the data. They do not all know what the codes mean, and it takes too much time to translate them back to an alias that is understandable to them.
EulessNick

I would also like to see the export file retain the alias name, even if you aren't using the alias for the new field names.

In the geoprocessing tool Table to Table, if your input file has field names and aliases set, the output file uses the output field names as both the field name and the alias - previously set aliases are gone.

In the Table to Excel tool, there is an option to use the alias as the column name.

DrewFlater
Status changed to: In Product Plan

This is being developed as a new parameter/option for the Export Features and Export Table tools in ArcGIS Pro 3.0

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Implemented

This option has been added in ArcGIS Pro 3.0. See Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 3.0 to see this and all of the other ideas you can look forward to when you upgrade.

Also be sure to check out the What's New documentation: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/whats-new-in-arcgis-pro.htm