Screening Widget Enhancements

10-20-2020 02:09 PM
JasonZou
Occasional Contributor III

ArcGIS Online Web AppBuilder provides Near Me and Screening widgets that are very similar. Both search for target features within a buffer distance around a location, and provide the result back as a list as well as show on the map. We like Screening better because it provides some nice features that Near Me does not have, like download the result in various formats, and print as a report. However,  Near Me is more user friendly than Screening, where we hope ESRI can help improve. Here are the list of enhancements we propose to implement for Screening widget.

• In order for a user to search features around a location, with Screening widget, the user will need to
    1. Search a location
    2. Click on Zoom to location button at the top left corner to zoom to that location
    3. Click Report to get the list of features that fall inside the buffer around the location
    4. Expand the feature list to view the result

Instead with Near Me, the user will only need to search for a location, and it will perform the rest automatically. One       step vs four steps. This will be huge to our end users if we can implement the same in Screening.

• On the report generated by Screening,
    • In addition to displaying the buffer area, the location address and buffer distance will be more useful info to show.
    • In the result data grid, the last column is Count. I believe there will be some business use cases to display it. Can it be configured to not show it? The space of the report page is limited, and when Count is 1 for all rows, it makes a lot sense to not display it and leave the space for other more useful info.

Actually Screening and Near Me can be consolidated into one since their core function is the same, search features near a location.