Dashboards - Map layer selection tool layout and default method

06-22-2020 05:14 PM
JamieLambert
Occasional Contributor III

The selection option for a map is very handy, though it would be great if there was flexibility around configuration. I rarely use the Point method, so I don't want it as the default option.

It would be great to be able to expose all selection options in a minimal style (no labels) and enable hover-over help. This would 1) make it more obvious to end users. 2) make it a one-click operation to select the desired method.

And/Or

To be able to set the default selection method (for example Polygon rather than Point). This would also make it a one-click operation if you mainly used anything other than the Point option. I thought I might be able to change it in the JSON, but couldn't find it...

Thanks.

Show this (with hover-over help):

Rather than this:     

1 Comment
jessneuner

Yes!  We need this.  Either for the selection to be a palette or to change the default tool that is active for selection.

We are most often wanting to select points on the map in a region ... would make the experience so much better if the default behavior of enabling the select tool was something than a point click. 

For example with the Citizen Problem Reporter solution - folks need a way to see what's going on on a street or within a neighborhood -- ideally we'd be able to give them the lasso tool by default.

smtxlasso.jpg