Ability to view Database Sequence in ArcGIS Pro

04-28-2021 09:38 AM
Labels (1)
Brian_McLeer
Occasional Contributor II

In creating database sequences, there is not a streamlined way to view database sequences that have been created. I have seen other posts of using Python to list database sequences, but that seems to only be applicable to file geodatabase and not enterprise databases. 

List Database Sequences for Enterprise Geodatabase 

Being able to view database sequences in a database would be beneficial, especially as these can interact with attribute rules to auto-generate values. Viewing along the same lines as you can for attribute rules, domains, subtypes, etc. 

12 Comments
JoeBorgione

In Modify existing Geodatabase Sequences  I have suggest that we be able to modify existing database sequences and additional functionality is needed as well:  currently the only way to to list the sequences in a file geodatabase (and I assume an enterprise as well) is to use arcpy.da.ListDatabaseSequences().

You can right click on a fgdb and edit domains, and in doing so you get a list of all the domains in the gdb.

It would be cool to be able to do the same sort of thing with sequences: List them all and/or edit with one right click of the mouse.

JoeBorgione

In Modify existing Geodatabase Sequences  I have suggest that we be able to modify existing database sequences and additional functionality is needed as well:  currently the only way to to list the sequences in a file geodatabase (and I assume an enterprise as well) is to use arcpy.da.ListDatabaseSequences().

You can right click on a fgdb and edit domains, and in doing so you get a list of all the domains in the gdb.

It would be cool to be able to do the same sort of thing with sequences: List them all and/or edit with one right click of the mouse.

Brian_McLeer

Update on this, it has been logged as an enhancement request by working with an ESRI analyst a few weeks ago. The number is #ENH-000141842. 

RhettZufelt

Has this been implemented yet?

R_

Brian_McLeer

@RhettZufelt I just looked at MyEsri and there are no new notes in the activity log from when I submitted this last summer for the enhancement request. 

RhettZufelt

Thanks for the response.  Though, I don't agree this should be an enhancement, but more of a bug/huge oversight.

Pretty much makes using the create sequence option useless for us when you don't even know if they exist, the name to use, etc......

R_

RhettZufelt

Since this still isn't implemented, figured I'd share a couple methods ESRI tech support supplied.  Works for SQL Server at least:

1. SSMS > database > Programmability > Sequences
select name, start_value, increment, current_value from database_name.sys.sequences

Using the first route, you can reset them as well vs Arc where you need to delete them and re-create.

R_

CAkoth
by

Has this been implemented for File geodatabases?

KoryKramer
RichardLittlefield

I agree. We need to be able to view the database sequence the same way we can see domains or tables/feature classes inside a file geodatabase. Not being able to see this makes it extremely difficult to know if they are being used or not, or even remembering what you named the sequence. Being able to see it is a much needed improvement. Please implement this in a future release.

Also being able to edit it would be helpful as well. If you are using it in an attribute rule to automatically number your features. What if you need to delete some features and would like to then manually update your sequence to start at where the edited features left off?

Looks like you can now view the sequence with python, however I'm not a python person by any means and I'm having issues trying to get the python syntax to successfully run. Not everyone knows python, so being able to see these sequences in some sort of viewing either through a table or similar to the domain view would be extremely helpful.