SketchEditor GraphicsOverlay should be accessible

03-27-2020 12:24 PM
EricPlourde
New Contributor II

Hi,

I am using ArcGis runtime sdk for Java 100.7 and I would like to have access to the GraphicsOverlay where the SketchEditor is drawn. This would be really helpful to draw Graphics over the SketchEditor while it is started.

A usage for this would be to be able to draw a TextSymbol following the mouse position to indicate the distance between the last point and the current mous position... a typical distance tool.

I already ask this to ESRI support, and the answer was to submit an Idea here for future enhancement.

1 Comment
MarkBaird
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

I'm currently reviewing this as part of a release planning process and was wondering if a suitable solution here is to simply add another graphics overlay to your application?

Although the Sketch Editor used a graphics overlay internally, the MapView control can support multiple graphics overlays, so there is nothing to stop you creating another one to display the symbols you've described above.

Would this workflow work for you?

Theoretically we could expose the graphics overlay we use internally with the sketch edit, but there is a very big risk that if external code edits the contents it would result in instability of the editor operations.