Sort Datasets in the Domain Usage Tool (ArcGIS Pro 2.5)

02-21-2020 07:26 AM
Labels (1)
JuliaHink1
New Contributor II

The addition of the domain usage tool in ArcGIS Pro 2.5 is awesome and long overdue. It would be helpful if there was an option to sort the datasets alphabetically by right clicking and selecting sort ascending, similar to sorting fields in an attribute table. 

7 Comments
KoryKramer

Thank you for submitting this idea Julia Hink‌.  I agree that Domain Usage is awesome new functionality!

To get a little more context for this request, are you able to provide some screenshots of the results you see in the Domain Usage pane and/or more details about why Search doesn't meet your needs?  Currently there is the ability to search which filters the results:

Again, just trying to understand how you use the functionality so that the development team understands the need.

Thank you!

JuliaHink1

Sure. Let's say I'm preparing to consolidate duplicate domains and maintaining an excel sheet of what needs to be removed, kept, consolidated, etc. In excel, all of my feature classes/datasets are sorted alphabetically but in the domain usage tool they are not. It would be easier do my verification with the ability to sort. Attached image is of sample data...You can see the datasets are not alphabetically sorted and if you right click on the Dataset header (similar to what the workflow would be in an attribute table) there is no option to sort ascending. 

JuliaHink1

I suppose I could use the search functionality but would have to check one at a time instead of visually compare and make sure that all are accounted for in both environments (Pro/Excel). 

KoryKramer

Thank you for taking the time to provide the use case Julia Hink‌  Very helpful!

Steve_Salas

This would be helpful, but if we are going to give it some table-like functionality, why not get it all the way to a table?  Then I can automate the comparison with Python, etc.  (currently in my organization, a master table stored in SharePoint - don't ask...!)  Or should that be a different Idea, @KoryKramer ?

KoryKramer

Hi @Steve_Salas Yes, I think that if you want to get from the domain usage results to a table, that should be a separate idea, as this is specifically to sort the datasets.

In your new idea about "getting to a table" it will be important to outline what specific functionality you need; e.g. access through arcpy, export (as .csv?)?, etc.

Thank you

Steve_Salas