Configurable Information Box on Enterprise Portal

02-14-2020 06:50 AM
LilianmParker
New Contributor II

Hello

I would like to be able to reconfigure the message on an information box on the enterprise portal. The box appears when the portal user is trying to access a Group which he/she is not a member of. I like to add information on what the user should do to request access. This will help reduce calls to our IT Service Desk.  the current message is not fit for purpose - see attached image#

Thank you

2 Comments
by Anonymous User

Hi there,

This error message may be because of the way the group is configured.

Would you be able to trace back for us how a user got to this error message - was it through the Enterprise portal by clicking on the Groups tab or a direct link or other route? In addition, on the settings tab on the group, which options are checked for the below?

Options for

If I have the above options selected (for example), and I sign in as someone that is not a member of that group and navigate to the group or access a link to the group, I would see a Join This Group button which then provides this message:

"Your request for membership will be sent to the group administrator for review."

This is the standard message once you request to join. 

However, if my settings are "Who can view this group > only group members" and I try to access the group via a link, I receive the same error that you posted there since the group owner did not make the group accessible outside of group members.

Sarah_Hanson
Status changed to: Closed

This idea is going to be closed, as it is expected behavior.

If a group is configured to only be viewable by members of the group:

Sarah_Hanson_0-1685652003262.png

The group will not be discoverable by users who are not members when they are working within the Enterprise portal. However, if a user enters a direct URL to a group of which they are not a member,  an error message would be the expected result. This is the current behavior, and the error message correctly indicates that the reason for the error could be that they don't have permission to it.

If anyone has an additional use case to share on this behavior and why it should be changed, I would recommend creating a new idea and sharing those details there. Thank you!