ArcGIS Monitor - handle null measurements

12-03-2019 11:35 AM
PeterLee3
New Contributor III
Desired functionality
We would like ArcGIS Monitor to have a counter/alert for when a server is down. When a server is completely off no data sampling occurs. ArcGIS Monitor relies on a data sample in order to alert. This is true of web alerts as well as infrastructure (disk usage, RAM), remote desktop, and other alerts. It would be great if I could make an alert or a counter based on "NULL"/empty/no/missing data.

Justification
Monitor is great at being versatile in monitoring a wide array of server metrics. It would be great if it could tell me when a server is down, not just when it is slowing down or unhealthy. Otherwise, I am forced to look into other options, with their own costs in time, installation, and learning curve and maintenance. Monitor could be a one stop solution, and it almost is. 

Current functionality problems
Monitor is taking measurements for multiple servers, including web servers. I allowed Monitor to take telemetry on web and infrastructure stats for a particular test web server, then I shut down the web server after the first sample. Counters, such as "Find string" and infrastructure counters are missing data for the test server while it was off, as expected.

But the problem lies in the alert configuration page of Monitor. It does not have an option to test for null data, such as the server response times, so I don't get an alert email to notify me the server is down.
Suggested solution
The Alert type uses comparison operators, such as Equal to or Greater than, but it does not have an option for null data comparisons. Add an IsNull check or allow "Equal To" comparisons against Null when sample data is missing.

An alert like the following:
Name: Response Code
Category: Url
Instance: Default-alert
Alert Category: Critical
Alert Type: IsNull or Equal To
Value: Null

-Peter
1 Comment
GeoJen
by Esri Contributor
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Hi @PeterLee3 ,

Please update to the latest version of Monitor to see if this issue is resolved. If not please let us know.