update cloned python environment(s) while updating arcgis pro

08-19-2019 02:17 PM
Labels (1)
Martin_Döllerer
New Contributor III

Hi esri folks,

thank you very much for including a python package manager into ArcGIS Pro!

Unfortunately, my installed packages have got lost just by every update of Pro since then, because cloned python environments haven't been taken into account during the update process...

Happy GISing,

Mascht

Tags (2)
13 Comments
JoeBorgione

ESRI:   Pretty please with a cherry on top?

ScottBridwell

Yes, this should be a high priority item.We shouldn't have to re-create our environments every time a patch is released.

It would also be nice to make it easier to access arcpy from an external anaconda environment.

MichaelVolz

Could not agree more!!!!

by Anonymous User

I can understand that each new version of PRO requires different packages and updating the main software overwrites the default the environment, however it shouldn't invalidate the cloned environments and require us to recreate them each time an update comes our way.  Maybe it should create backups of the cloned environments and then go through the clones and update those packages that have been updated with the main env so they are not invalidated. 

Another idea is to create yml of the environments so we can recreate it more easily than waiting for PRO to clone the environment, search for the packages that we had and install/update them.  And since we cannot rename the environments, we have to do it in order so that PRO's naming convention names the environments (clone1, clone2, clone25 etc.) so we don't have to reset the interpreters env's we have set up in our IDE's.  There is a lot of space in the python manager window- including a section that can install an environment from a yml would be useful. 

AdamBakiera

This would definitely be a very nice feature. We had all sorts of issues when we upgraded from 2.5 to 2.7. So for others that have experienced these issues, do you get them when you install patches too? There is a 2.7.2 patch available but if we have to re-create Python environments, it makes it a much longer process. Thanks!

ShaunWalbridge
Status changed to: In Product Plan

We hear you! Providing a tool to upgrade Python environments is in the product plan and will be addressed in a future Pro release.

Martin_Döllerer

I hear you! Great to know that!

Happy GISing
Mascht

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Implemented

This option has been added in ArcGIS Pro 3.0. See Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 3.0  to see this and all of the other ideas you can look forward to when you upgrade.

Also be sure to check out the What's New documentation: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/whats-new-in-arcgis-pro.htm  

by Anonymous User

Thank you @KoryKramer / esri!

KoryKramer

I'll be sure to pass your thanks on to the team @Anonymous User