Ability to Delete .TPK Basemaps in Collector for ArcGIS

06-27-2019 08:55 AM
LanceCase
Occasional Contributor

The new version of Collector (Collector of ArcGIS) does not have a tool to delete imported .TPK basemaps like Collector Classic did.  Instead, users must connect via iTunes File Sharing to delete imported basemaps as described here: https://community.esri.com/message/839011-how-to-delete-basemap-tpk

Please add back the ability to delete imported .TPK basemap files from Collector for ArcGIS in the app itself.

(Though I admit that it is possible to delete the folder containing the .TPK file you wish to delete from the iOS Files app.  -- Just open the Collector "folder" in the Files app, open the Basemaps folder, and open each folder until you locate the .TPK basemap file you wish to delete.  Delete the folder containing the basemap file.  --  This was easier in the Collector Classic app.)

Adding the ability to import .TPK basemaps from the iOS Files app is awesome!  Especially when importing from a flash drive without the need for a broadband connection.  (As of June 2019)

5 Comments
ThomasColson

I had to chuckle at this one. My  users have found a way to delete the *(!*!@*(*()!@*()&^!&@ sideloaded basemaps every time they use the @*!((*@(!)_!)()(_()@!!@_)_+ app. It's a complete mystery as to how it's happening, and I honestly believe they're not doing it. Come work in my office and we'll mark this idea as implemented!

by Anonymous User

Hi Lance

Any way you could give me some advice on how to get .TPK files to work with the new Collector through the File App in IOS? I cant get Collector to read the files I have put into the "Basemap" folder.

Thanks

LanceCase

Hi Michael,

Easy-peasy.  Don't put the .TPK file into the Basemap folder.  Just copy it into the files section (one level up).  Then, when you sync and disconnect from iTunes, the TPK file will automatically be imported into Collector's file system.  If you look in the Files app in "On My iPad (or iPhone I suppose)> Collector", the TPK file should disappear.  Open the Basemaps folder and you'll see folders with long, crazy, alpha-numeric names.  Your TPK file will have been refiled under one of these; one TPK per crazy folder name.  Once you open Collector though, you really won't know the difference.  The basemap is just there.  The annoying part is, if you decide to delete the TPK file later on, you have to browse through all the folders (with the crazy names) to figure out which one has your TPK file.  Then note the name of the folder, bounce up a level, then delete that folder.  There *has* to be a better way to manage basemaps (wink to ESRI).

Hope this helps!

by Anonymous User

Lance,

Thank you for the quick response! That was really easy and worked perfectly. It does sound like the deleting process is a bit more difficult but I hopefully wont have to change my base maps that often. 

Again thanks for the help!

ColinMurray1

My god! Thanks very much for the procedure to import as tpk. It's so easy! I'm still using Collector Classic since Collector doesn't seem to support tracklogs all that well. But the help and resources sections are really confusing to find information at least for me.