Move/drag shapes in ArcGIS Earth

04-18-2019 04:02 PM
AlexZhuk
Occasional Contributor III

It would ge great if users could move/drag shapes (lines, polygons, etc.) drawn in ArcGIS Earth across the globe. Two simple educational examples: move the (rough) shape of South America to the east to align it with Africa. Or to move/drag the shape of New Zealand over Italy, to see the difference. Yes, you can do it by other means in 2D, but there, most likely, you'll have to account for differences in projections, while in ArcGIS Earth, it's like doing it on a real globe! Unfortunately, Google Earth doesn't do it either.

6 Comments
Bing_AnChen

Hello @AlexZhuk ,

It is such an amazing idea to try ‘Geo-puzzling’ on the globe. Thank you for sharing your ideas with us.

We have recorded your post in our use case. If you have a more detailed workflow on this topic, would you please share them with us via arcgis-earth@esri.com?

More clear cases and detailed workflow will help us to meet users' needs efficiently.

We hope you continue to enjoy the journey with ArcGIS Earth!

Bing'An

AlexZhuk

Hi Bing'An,

To me it would just a hobby/interest/educational type thing. Like "What's really larger Greenland or Africa?" Some people may use it for other purposes. Anyway, it would enrich the program and make the users want to open it more often.

Thanks!

Alex_Zhuk

Since July 2023 editing features is possible in Earth. However, moving whole features - still not  😞

Keep my fingers crossed!

GeoffroyRicher-Lalonde

@Alex_Zhuk, what you are looking to do can be done with a KML GoundOverlay :

1. Get a picture of a country with transparency (PNG)
  2. Draw --> Ground Overlay
  3. Use your PNG
  4. Drag, stretch and rotate to georeference the picture the best you can

GroundOverlay.gif

Alex_Zhuk

@GeoffroyRicher-Lalonde Thanks for the helpful/elegant suggestion! It can work, although I'd prefer  something without that extra "png" step.