Ability to manually reorder items in X axis of Operations Dashboard Graph

03-26-2019 10:57 AM
BaileyGlassford1
New Contributor II

Hi, I am looking for a little bit of graphing functionality that would go a long way with my operations dashboard. As it currently stands, it would appear that ESRI has a default manner in which they order the items in the "x axis" of a graph, and I cannot control the manner in which they are ordered. For instance, in the graph below(and attached... not sure how to make sure it shows up), I want to show ascending levels of damage in a post disaster form from unaffected to completely destroyed. As can hopefully be seen, these items are randomly ordered, and there is no current functionality that enables them to be reordered in the way the user wants. This problem also makes it difficult to have anything but a monochromatic color scheme "work" as there is no way to ensure that a converging or diverging color scheme will hold up as the data populates (being fed by survey 123). Please let me know if this doesn't make sense, thank you!

1 Comment
by Anonymous User

I agree that being able to manually configure sorting for the axis categories is needed.    While a user can sort by another field, it is cumbersome to have to have a second column for every use case where you need to sort chart data.

I will note that this same functionality is needed for charts in ArcGIS Hub.

Bailey Glassford  I hope that you have found a workaround for this issue, however if not a work around that I have used is to add an integer field to my table which contains a numeric value indicating the ascending levels of progression.  I

In my example I have a dashboard (Resilient City Recovery Reporting Dashboard) that is tracking the progress of housing units being rebuilt after the October 2017 Northern California Wildfires (Tubbs fire).  

My table has a column named "RebuildProcessCode_pPermit" which is the field I sort off of (Indicating the numeric progression of a sites rebuild (values of 0-60)) and a column named "RebuildProcessDesc_pPermit" which contains the progression as a text value that displays on the dashboard.  See the screen shot below.