Expand the Locate Tool in Pro

Idea created by nfazer_midlandcounty on Feb 27, 2019
    Reviewed
    Score10
    • kambing006

Building off what has been implemented in the latest versions of Pro, being able to search for a term in all layers is very useful, and much faster than trying to add layers to the locate setup, check fields on/off, etc. I'd like to suggest an enhancement to what has been implemented.

Right now a "quick search" searches ALL the layers in a map. This is fine when you only have a few layers. When I have 30 layers in a map and need to find something, having Pro search all the fields in all the attribute tables of 30+ layers is not really functional.

I would like to see the Layer Search option expanded to include Visible Layers Only, at a minimum. Better yet, I'd like to see the dropdown of layers brought back like in ArcMap. Really, the basic search and specific locate should be separate tools. A basic search function as a ready-to-use, easy-to-use tool, and the locate as something that can be setup and tailored to something more specific.

GIS-savvy users can figure this out. People just learning Pro (and learning GIS in Pro) want to do a simple search. They shouldn't have to spend 30 minutes setting up the Locate function for every project. They get frustrated quickly.