3DEP for elevation profile

Idea created by kmsagis on Feb 4, 2019
    New
    Score-10
    • No one has voted for this idea

I am dreaming one day the elevation profile tool can use the USGS 3DEP elevation service for the WAB / JS API elevation widget.  Although the first step, which is on the USGS to do, is use lidar from counties. They have it all in CLICK but they need to get it out the masses. My county still shows at 10m.  We did lidar back in 1999, 2009 and are doing it again this year. With great post spacing. All this great hi-res data has piled up and most counties in metro areas have it. But until it's a service, and works with the Elev Profile widget in Esri and other ready to go tools it won't be seen by some. This is more of a thinking out loud... More of a note I just thought of, while working on a class about 3D that I had today when I visited the 3DEP page and saw the service:  3DEPElevation (ImageServer) So I was just wondering if anyone know if USGS will bring lidar into the 3DEP service sometime? Maybe at 1m rasters or something?  Meantime, yes I know we can spin up an elevation service and I probably will do that with our 1m DEM on premise, for use with the profile widget. But I just wanted to throw this out there, since if USGS gathered up and shared out all county lidar DEMs in one service, Esri could point the profile widget at that service as the default and it would be accurate enough most of the time.