WAB Share Widget: remember layers turned on

12-14-2018 06:55 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The Share widget in WAB is very powerful. I love how it can embed a query in the URL to zoom right to a parcel by address or PIN for example. 

It can remember current extent. However, could it have the added option, underneath that, to also remember what layers are turned on in the layer list? 

(even better, icing on the cake, would be if it remember what layers were added in via the Add Data widget. That would be neat but that would be much less important than just remembering what layers were on from the default service from the original webmap)

7 Comments
berniejconnors

The share widget already does remember the layer settings

by Anonymous User

Yes now it does.  However it still does not remember what Basemap was selected or layers from Add Data which would be useful.

berniejconnors

I agree Esri needs to include the basemap in the "Share" widget.  However, I think including the layers from the "Add Data" is going too far.  How will they handle data that was added from the user's local hard drive??

by Anonymous User

Hi Bernie, I agree. I was thinking just for REST layers. I am picturing... our users can use Open Data services as a way to pick and choose through our other several hundred layers which we wouldn't want to clutter the layerlist with but one or two could be important all the time to a specific segment of users. So once they add it, it remains for them. They just have to bookmark the particular URL.  I'm a huge fan of URL parameters for this reason. Also, would be useful for embedding the site and merging in content from other sources and agencies, if it can remember REST layers (which it would need to, to support Add Data)

by Anonymous User

Cross-posting from the last thread, adding ability to remember Basemap and Add Data layers in this widget as a core widget may also allow custom widgets like Save Session to also leverage that capability, so Save Session could potentially also save Basemap and Added layers. 

berniejconnors

Kevin,  Including REST layers would be a good idea but embedding long REST URLs into a share link makes it much more likely that the share link will exceed the 2048 character limit imposed by many web servers.

by Anonymous User

Ah good point.