Survey 123: Reference Data & Images

Idea created by john.mcewen on Nov 1, 2018
    New
    Score20
    • andrew.padilla_adfg
    • john.mcewen

This idea post is one of several individual ideas that I had grouped together on this original post: https://community.esri.com/ideas/15660-survey-123-vs-gocanvas?commentID=66800#comment-66800. Even though Survey 123 Connect has many of these capabilities that can be "programmed", there are other applications that have web-based form design similar to the Survey 123 web designer but that are easier to use in terms building in capabilities that can only be built in using S123 Connect. Scott Prindle requested that I post each enhancement individually. These enhancement requests are based on my experience using a web app called GoCanvas* (GC) for damage assessments.

In S123 Connect it is possible to create drop down options for fields by adding reference data. And you can add choices for drop downs in the wed designer. GC can accept reference data in CSV form that can be used for drop downs in multiple fields without having to re-enter for each field. You can still manually enter choices for more one-off style fields. What is more, it is possible to narrow down choices in subsequent fields based on the input from previous fields. For example, picking a U.S. state from a drop down would narrow the next choice for county based on the state selected. All 3,000+ counties would still be in the reference data, but if you select a specific state, it would reduce your choices in the next field to only those relevant to the first choice. This can cascade through multiple fields.

The other type of reference data is images. S123 Connect does allow you to provide static images. GC allows the user to use and reuse (in loop screens) a static image like a template that you can draw on. For example, doing damage assessments of basketball courts or baseball fields at public parks, a user sees that image as a template of a baseball field that is preloaded as the background of a drawing field, open it, and draw on it to highlight areas that are damaged.

*GoCanvas is just what we use and is one of many similar field data collection platforms that, as far as I am concerned are easier to use than S123 Connect in a browser environment, automatically creates PDFs, integrates with cloud storage, and has email configuration options to automatically email specific people when a submission is complete.