ArcGIS Open Data Hub Should Respect Hidden Fields or Have Option to Turn Off Fields

10-17-2018 07:29 AM
Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Esri, 

We are currently in the process of publishing data for our ArcGIS Open Data Hub and we would like to have the ability to hide fields in our feature service. Many of the fields within our enterprise feature classes are strictly for internal use only and we do not want to share for other users who would access our data in the Open Data Hub.

We recently contacted support to confirm this issue (Esri Case #02201567). The resulting answer was that we either needed to make a new feature class with only the fields we do want, or create a SQL view.

This is a frustrating answer, as this would require us to maintain an entirely new feature class or SQL view. Currently our data is published as a referenced service from our enterprise geodatabase. That means that when users visit our Hub they will always have access to the most current data. 

In efforts to promote Open Data, ArcGIS Open Data Hub needs to have an option to turn off fields or respect hidden fields.  

Thank you, 

Amanda

3 Comments
Greg_Mattis

Amanda, are you publishing to ArcGIS Enterprise using ArcGIS Pro or ArcMap? We came across BUG-000117216 where Hidden fields were visible in a feature service when publishing referenced layers from ArcGIS Pro to Portal 10.6.1. 

We were able to fix this issue by publishing the feature service to ArcGIS Pro from ArcMap.

Amanda__Huber

Hi Greg, 

Thanks so much for your reply. That bug was actually created from my case (02201567)‌.

After testing I was able to successfully publish a new feature service with hidden fields strictly from ArcMap only. The analyst was correct, it does seem to be an issue with ArcGIS Pro's publishing. 

Thanks, 
Amanda

AnneTetley

I have this issue with a hosted table where I am unable to turn off the object ID from displaying in an open data hub dataset.