ArcGIS Pro: Save Project Copy

09-21-2018 12:42 PM
Labels (1)
emmornile1
Occasional Contributor II

One of the best enhancements of ArcGIS was the Save A Copy of the map document.  This is not the same as "Save As", Save A Copy creates a back up copy with the correct paths pointing to the data.  "Save As" creates a copy, but then the copy becomes the working document.  Pro does not have this functionality which means making working back up copies of the Pro Projects is difficult. There is no need to make a copy of the Project GDB, just point the paths in the Project copy to that folder.

Screenshot of 10.6 File menu:

10.6 Save A Copy

14 Comments
KoryKramer

It looks like the basic difference is that ArcMap's Save A Copy saved a copy of the document but didn't switch it to the working copy.  

Can you copy the aprx and paste (same folder/different folder)?  This can be done while the project is still open.

emmornile1

Typically the workflow our analysts follow is to make a copy in sub-folder named "backups", with 10.x the paths are saved correctly since we use "save relative paths". Using windows explorer won't do that, saving a copy from the ArcGIS application requires a minimal number of steps.

What is the argument that lead to removing 10.x functionality? Why is it that I have to justify the behavior of Esri software to match existing Esri software?

by Anonymous User

Kory Kramer‌ Any comment?

KoryKramer

Hi Emmor,

I tagged this as an ArcMap equivalency issue when you submitted it so is on the list of equivalency issues that I provide to development teams.  

Thank you.

by Anonymous User

Thanks Kory

BarryFosberg

This reads as a definition of "copy" of which I have never experienced.

A copy is supposed to be a stand alone entity such that if something goes wrong in one or features are lost, they still exist in the original. This reads as if all that has been done is to create a new .mdx that continues to point to the old geodatabase.

Deletions, additions or corruption in the one poisons the other as they are the same.

What is the method to start an entirely new .mdx that begins with the same everything in an existing one,, maps, scenes, fonts layers and etcetera and allows the user to change the new ias necessary with nothing changing in the original?

KoryKramer

It sounds like you're more interested in a package.  

In ArcMap you could create a map package: https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/map/working-with-arcmap/creating-a-map-package.htm

In Pro, there are options to create a map package or project package depending on what you need:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/map-package.htm

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/project-package.htm

AndrewWillingale

Hi @KoryKramer 

Following your post of 12-27-2018 please can you advise when we can expect this functionality please? Thanks.

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Under Consideration

I spoke with the development team and we're moving this to Under Consideration.  See the ArcGIS Ideas Submission Guidelines and Statuses for the status definitions.

Thank you!

AndrewWillingale

Excellent, thanks Kory.