change "extent" - to "in map view" across the board

07-30-2018 08:23 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I change "map extent" to "area in map view" or "area on screen" in most apps. The public does not know what map "extent" means. Consider changing this phrase in Web App Builder. I'm sure you can figure out something phrased a little better! But a few ugly words that get the job done are better than a technical term no one understands. Users have not understood why things are missing in the Attribute Table in some apps and this is why.

2 Comments
deleted-user-sYHsW3p_gN5o

Great idea. Kevin MacLeod‌ don't forget to vote on this yourself!

by Anonymous User

fyi to all - it's easy to do yourself, in the Strings.js in NLS Esri has made Web App Builder very open and easy to customize. I just thought I'd mention this. I also change Operational Layers in LayerList to say "Click a Layer Group Name to Expand" because its UI is confusing. (I just posted on that as well).  Interestingly on the flip side they changed Metadata to Description which... well, pros know what metadata is and making technical terms less specific is unnecessary.   However, for the public, I call it a shape, not a polygon. A corner, not a vertex. Map view, not extent. So forth. I've noticed people follow closer and more readily when plain language is used.