Pro: When viewing metadata, do not check "Show Details Panel" automatically

06-23-2018 07:08 AM
Labels (1)
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Due to the global (slow) performance issues with Pro <-> SDE, we have to keep "Show Details Panel" checked off, otherwise simply clicking on a SDE feature class in Catalog View turns into a go grow, roast, and grind the coffee beans wait. So when ever I need to look at metadata, I just right-click on the FC and select "View Metadata". 

Imagine my surprise when, after "Viewing Metadata", the next FC I clicked on (where I had no intent or desire to look at metadata) presented a wait opportunity where I could grow a different flavor of coffee bean (to roast, grind, and brew) while I waited for the FC Properties to open. 

Huh? Why is the Details Pane open? That's why it's taking so long!!!

Lookee there, the  "Show Details Panel" is checked. Wait a minute, I never check that. When ever you right-click on a FC and "View Metadata", I guess the developers figured you always want to view metadata, which is the exact opposite of what a user would expect when unchecking that option. I only want to view metadata when I right-click on something and select "View Metadata". That option should not be checked unless I put the mouse in the box and check it, which will never happen. I shouldn't have to uncheck that option every time I choose to right-click on something and look at metadata.

3 Comments
DuncanHornby

With all that coffee making you would go down a storm in my office!

But on as serious note this is exactly one of those quirky Pro behaviours that simply does not work and needs to be fixed as it makes it almost impossible to do any sort of quick workflow.

MichaelVolz

Would either of you know if just viewing metadata in Pro then locks it out of being viewed in ArcMap (or at least specific versions of ArcMap - e.g. Pro 2.2.0 is equivalent with 10.6.x so the metadata would no longer be viewable in 10.5.x and older)?  I only ask because my org ran into a metadata issue such as this when migrating from ArcMap 10.2.x to 10.3.x and we had to warn users of 10.3.x not to look at metadata in 10.3.x so most users still at 10.2.x could still access the metadata.

NaicongLi
Status changed to: Closed

Hello @ThomasColson, and everyone,

In ArcGIS Pro you view an item's metadata in the Catalog view’s details panel on the Metadata tab. Once the details panel is open it will remain open until you close it. This is to support equivalency with ArcCatalog, as well as accessibility requirements for using the down arrow on the keyboard to navigate the contents list and see information about data in the current location. Users have asked to easily scan metadata and preview spatial or tabular data in this manner before they add the data to a map, perform analysis, etc. These requirements are in direct opposition to this idea.

It seems like the main reason for proposing this idea was poor performance when viewing metadata for items in an enterprise geodatabase. Significant changes have been made to improve performance when browsing enterprise geodatabases in the Catalog view since this idea was first submitted. We specifically focused on improving performance for viewing and managing metadata for enterprise geodatabase items. This is not to say that the most recent versions of ArcGIS Pro are perfect, but they should be better than the versions of Pro that were in use when this idea was submitted.

Another way to read this idea is that it should be easier to see some metadata when you are using the Catalog pane without having to switch to the Catalog view. There is another idea requesting the ability to customize the information you see in the Catalog pane’s pop-up. Consider adding your vote to that idea if that is a workflow you would prefer.

Regarding the question raised by @MichaelVolz, ArcMap, ArcCatalog, and ArcGIS Pro can all interact with the same metadata in the same enterprise geodatabase and do not interfere with each other. That is, they all read and write metadata in the same ArcGIS metadata format, they use the same metadata editor, and when an item's properties are synchronized to an item's metadata this process is the same. The only difference is that ArcCatalog automatically synchronizes metadata when you view it. ArcGIS Pro does not synchronize metadata automatically for performance reasons, but you can use the Synchronize button on the Catalog view’s ribbon to perform this operation. 

With this note, we are closing this idea.  Thank you all for your feedback!