ESRI Enterprise Deploy Outside Default VPC in AWS

06-22-2018 01:32 PM
VinceUlfig1
New Contributor II

ESRI Enterprise deployment tools for AWS currently use Amazon Web Services (AWS) CloudFormation technology in 3 ways:

• AWS CloudFormation at the AWS Console
  • ESRI CloudBuilder CLI on Windows
  • ESRI Python SDK for AWS CloudFormation

The three ESRI AWS deployment technologies above currently support only the Default VPC in AWS.

AWS VPCs are separate networks; a non-cloud analogy would be a LAN.

Reasons ESRI deployment and other tech should support VPCs other than the Default VPC:

• Every AWS Account allows AWS customers to use zero to many VPCs.
    • Zero VPCs = AWS Classic
  • ESRI Customers have existing tech deployed outside the Default VPC that must be integrated with ESRI tech.
  • ESRI Customers have customers that have existing tech deployed outside the Default VPC that must be integrated with ESRI tech.
  • System Administrators recommend against using the Default VPC because it is more hackable than other VPCs.
    • An analogy would be the Microsoft Windows Guest Account.

Use Case:

• Insitu / Boeing has created a DropBox-like technology named INEXA Cloud that is hosted by Insitu.
    • Insitu created INEXA Cloud in part because it keeps data on private networks.
    • Insitu deploys INEXA Cloud outside the Default VPC.
    • Insitu customers deploy INEXA Cloud on several VPCs to segregate data for different projects and customers and security requirements.
    • INEXA Cloud stores data on AWS EFS (Elastic File System).
    • Insitu wants to integrate INEXA Cloud EFS storage with ESRI ArcGIS Server.
    • Insitu wants ESRI ArcGIS Server and GeoEvent Server to mount EFS in VPCs that are not the Default VPC and serve data from VPCs that are not the Default VPC.
    • Insitu and Boeing want to buy more ESRI tech and enable Insitu and Boeing customer so buy more ESRI tech.
    • Insitu builds and operates UAVs (drones) and makes more aircraft for Boeing per year than any other Boeing aircraft.
    • ESRI might have some interest in these customers and their products and requirements:
1 Comment
VinceUlfig1

In the absence of support for the Default VPC, I am going to use ESRI CloudBuilder to deploy ArcGIS Enterprise, and then I am going to attempt to modify the configuration of Portal, Server, GeoEvent Server, etc., so that they work outside the Default VPC.  I will probably open at least one Case with ESRI Support in this process, because I will probably get stuck on something.  ESRI will save money on Support in the future via adding deployment support outside the AWS Default VPC.